? asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 5 months ago

Is it possible to grow strawberries or tomatoes in a pot by cutting out the seeds from one and planting it in the soil?

• Jeremy

Yes but don't expect them all to succeed. Maybe none will become a plant first time which is why many people just buy small plants rather than doing it from seed themselves.

I actually like to keep seeds from everything I grow. I dry them, bag them in see through zip-lock bags and label them with name and date. I love keeping the seeds from a plant gifted to me to then end up with lots of them without ever buying a pack of seeds. Same applies to bulbs - which multiply. Children need to be shown how to take cuttings of many plants also. If they end up with too many they can donate them to any organizations having a fundraising event. When my kids were in school I donated dozens of small plants for a stall at every fund raising event. A teacher would call at the house to collect them as they always sold really well.

It's amazing how many of us, when kids, after the war, kept acorns, conkers, seeds from pine cones and fruits we'd eaten and tried to grow them. Some succeed and some don't but it's great to try and watch the wonders of nature unfold before our own eyes. Too many kids these days have no idea where our food (or flowers) come from. The next generation of youngsters are going to be very ignorant human beings I'm afraid.

• Joe

Don't ask. Do it !! Be brave ! Be adventurous !! Do some experimenting !! Don't wait for permission !! Less talk, more action !!!!

• NONAME

is it possible to grow strawberrties by planting the seeds....thats usually how it works.....duhhhhhh

• elhigh

Yes! I have seen how strawberries can be started from seed - look it up on YouTube. You probably won't get the exact variety of strawberry as you purchased, as those are often hybrids bred from two parents varieties. But if the seeds will sprout then you're off to the races.

Starting tomatoes depends on the seed again - often what you purchase is a hybrid variety. If the sign at the store says "heirloom variety" then it should come true from seed. Some hybrid varieties won't sprout at all, or if they do then again you'll probably get one of the parent plants, not the one you ate.

I have a few tomato plants going that sprouted from the effluent that washed out of a ewer cleanout. You read that right, somebody ate the tomato, pooped out the seed and the seed sprouted in the ground where the sewer water spewed out on the ground. So sometimes the seeds work when you didn't even expect them to.

Good luck with it!

Commercially grown vegetables normally have sterile seeds. So yes you can plant them, and yes they will grow, but they won't produce any fruits or vegetables, just foliage.

That's kind of how seeds work.

wet a napkin, put the seeds in it, fold the napkin in half, put it in a ziplock bag, and wait a few days. if you see germination (roots coming from a seed), then put it in soil

Yes if you take care of it.