Can I break my lease and not pay rent? We have a massive spider infestation. They sprayed, it did nothing. My girlfriend is sick from bites.?

Do we have to pay rent. We live in NY if that matters. The lease says the premises is supposed to be infestation free.

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

yes you shouldn't live like that.

• 5 months ago

Spiders don’t bite...

• 5 months ago

"Supposed to be" means nothing. I can't answer. I don't know to what extent they have gone to get rid of the spiders. However, I can suggest that you photograph the bite marks and document everything. You may have a good case for a constructive eviction but I can't say for sure. How about consulting a lawyer to see if you can do it?

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • 5 months ago

You just continue to pay rent. In the meantime, you go get a personal injury lawyer. And you sue them for damages. The damages you win, will be much more then what you pay in rent.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

They sprayed, notify them that the spraying didn't work. Unless you give them a chance to resolve the issue, breaking the lease will come with full penalties...

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

HAHAHAHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Yes, you have to pay rent regardless that there is a spider in your apartment, even in trollville

• 5 months ago

You have to pay rent if you stay there. Did you let them know there is still an issue? Usually takes more than one treatment to deal with these issues. Call management/LL.

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

If you want legal advice, go talk to a lawyer.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

If it's uninhabitable then you have recourse, and can break your lease. (Make sure you have proof to substantiate your claims). There's a livability clause that should apply to your circumstances. I think you still have to pay rent until you vacate the premises.

• 5 months ago

Send a certified letter to your landlord stating that: you will not pay rent until the spiders are gone. If it's not fixed within 30 days you will leave for health concerns.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.