Tina asked in PetsDogs · 5 months ago

How the tick got into my apartment?

I live on 8th floor apartment house and i have 9 month old dog. This morning i found blood splash on floor from the tick. I found tick on my floor half alive. I always brush my dog and check up before going inside house . And my dog has the colar thing that shields against the tick and flees .... so i wonder where that came from ???? I always vacum and keep house clean.

● "How the tick got into my apartment"

That was supposed to be a question. Sticking a ❓ on the end doesn't turn it into a question, despite that a Yahoo programmer wrote a loop that puts one at the end of that first field if it ends with anything else. One way of making it a question would have been to ASK:

◊ "How did the tick get into my apartment?"

to which, as others have stated, the answer is that it was on you or your pet.

And why are you in Y!A? NOT ONCE in 4 YEARS have you awarded a Best Answer to anyone. EVERY question you've asked SHOULD have had a Best Answer chosen within a week - a fortnight at the latest. Except for this one, your questions are so old that Yahoo has probably blocked them from having a Best Answer chosen after all these. Go CHECK. Each one you choose not only rewards that answerer with 10 points, it also returns to you 3 of the 5 points it "cost" you to ask that question.

● "I live on 8th floor apartment house and i have 9 month old dog."

So you need to MOVE to somewhere that has a back door that opens straight into a securely fenced back yard. An upper-level apartment might suit YOU, but it 👿doesn't👿 suit animals or children.

You haven't told us what BREED (or breeds) and GENDER your pet is, nor whether he/she is fertile or neutered.

● "This morning i found blood splash on floor from the tick. I found tick on my floor half alive."

If your pet is a fertile 9 months bỉtch, it is VERY likely that the blood was the start of HER "heat".

How do YOU tell the difference between (a) a healthy tick, (b) a tick that is so full that it is lazy, (c) a tick has been bitten or trodden by your pet?

Not once in the 69 years since I was given my first pup have I seen a tick.

● "I always brush my dog and check up before going inside house . And my dog has the colar thing that shields against the tick and flees ...."

Geez, [Tina] - 26 or 27 years old, 4 years in Y!A, but you ignored the red line Y!A drew under "colar" and "vacum" to tell you to check your typing, and you haven't yet learnt the difference between "fleas" and "flees".

Neither a flea collar nor a flea spray "shields" against fleas. What they do is, eventually, KILL the fleas and/or ticks that have bitten your pet. Whether they do that BEFORE the flea or tick has laid eggs is not something we can be sure of. Eggs laid in the carpet or in cracks between boards are not affected by sprays - and once they hatch they are soon ready to suck blood then lay MORE eggs.

As [Ocimom] pointed out, a BRUSH is not designed for collecting lice or ticks. Nor is it for getting kooties out of children's hair, if you ever have any children.

● "so i wonder where that came from ???? I always vacum and keep house clean."

Assuming that it WAS a tick, it came from outside. There are plenty of web-sites to help you identify which type of tick it was. Most of them will tell you which types of plant that kind of tick likes to rest on until a creature containing WARM blood comes close enough to drop onto.

I was lucky enough to be born in a nation with few ticks, no rabies, no mammalian predators (apart from the humans who migrated here from Polynesia and Europe).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

😛 To discuss a breed, type the breed-name into the top field of

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/dir

then choose a couple of groups to Join - use the group's

Message History

on its /info page to make sure that it still has members who are ACTIVE. Then send an e-mail about yourself to the Subscribe address on that page.

The people in them KNOW about that breed. Plus you can include several actual photos in your posts.

😛 Also join

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/The_GSD_Source...

so that you can easily look up all sorts of information about dogs, especially GSDs. It is an "encyclopaedia" group (to which members can ask for new sources to be added), not a discussion group.

Kreaky Kiwi - first pup in 1950; GSD breeder & trainer as of 1968

• Ocimom

If you used a comb instead of a brush you probably would have gotten the tick off your dog before it attached. So its been on the dog for awhile. Also collars are pretty useless or they are toxic to the dogs. I would take the collar off and use Revolution for fleas/ticks instead - its safer and its put directly on the dog at the back of the neck. And use a flea comb instead of your brush.

• J C

Serresto collars from the vet are not toxic and do work. And Revolution is not labeled for ticks. It takes care of some, not all.

Who knows. So many factors. Don't worry about it.

Real obvious,,it hitched a ride, if not the dog, on you.

The only way it could have got there is if it traveled on the dog & dropped off in your apt.

You have a dog & you live in a high rise apt building without a backyard? I feel sorry for the dog. A dog really needs a backyard.

• Tina5 months agoReport

There lol wooded area i take her out 4times a day

• Maxi

Tick has been on the dog a few days, have fed and once full of blood they fall off....... so your toxic chemical flea/tick collar is useless for fleas/ticks ( but pumping poison into yourr dog)

• Frank

The DOG brought it in. DUH. Even YOU could have brought it in.

Probably attached the time before, they are tiny and easy to miss. Got fat, was injured when you brushed the last time, lost its hold fell off in the apt.

Is it possible that you missed it during your last grooming session? They are a lot smaller before they feed. Anyway, at least it isn't on your puppy now!

You always brush your dog, so that can't be it. Do you check yourself & brush your hairy regions of your body, it probably latched onto you.