Nico asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 5 months ago

Has anyone ever ground Bison ribeye steak for burgers, bad idea?

• Janet

Bison is a very lean meat.

It is fat that makes a burger juicy and tasty.

So if you make a burger using Bison meat, you need to add some kind of fat .. and some breadcrumbs to help absorb whatever fat there is.

It would be a waste of money to take a prime cut of steak such as ribeye and grind it up for a burger. The best cuts for burgers come from the shoulder cuts, and have about 15% fat (in beef, at least).

With Bison, you would want to cook the burgers in beef tallow or bacon grease just to give some fat and flavor to the meat.

From a culinary/flavor standpoint.

If you are cutting back on animal fats for diet and health, then you would just cook up the bison meat without adding fat. But it would not be a burger-to-die-for (literally and figuratively speaking, of course).

Not a bad idea. I'm sure you know that bison has considerably less fat than beef, and it is more pleasing to grind it with some suet.

Yeah. Ribeye is a premium cut and grinding it is a waste. I've had ground bison burgers and I like them. I assume it's a mix of lesser cuts and trim meats.

• Not enough fat to make good burgers, so you end up adding butter of cheese.

• I have not done that. I'm sure it would be delicious, but that's a hell of an expensive burger. I suppose the easy comparison i is - would you use a ribeye beef steak to make burgers. Again - delicious, but damn pricey. If it's worth it to you - go for it. I know I wouldn't. If I'm spending the money, I want the whole chewing on a cow experience!

I had a buffalo burger once, wasn't very good. But the restaurant i got it from sells a bunch of them, so you may like it.

• Nico5 months agoReport

I have as well, and it was too dry but I'm actually making a blend of meats to add the fatty flavor