Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 6 months ago

Anal gland problems in dogs.?

Hi, I feel like Im cursed. I have a 3 year old mixed dog and a 2 year old lab. Since february this year I have been in and out of vet to this day. My older dog started having anal gland issues after being castrated. His glands would get inflamed the vet would express them give him antibiotics and he would be fine for a week and then they would get inflamed/ or infected ( dont know english really well so I dont know how to explain, fluid in his sacs was never thick it was liquidy and his stool is firm, so he shoudl be able to express them himself but he isnt for some reason). Vets tried everything, they expressed them from outside from inside they gave him injections they put stuf in his glands they did everything. Now his glands seem to be fine but he godt ear infection as a sideefect from having problems with his glands this long, now Im treating his ear and I noticed he started locking back at his anus again. He is not licking it but just loocking for now. The problem is I noticed my lab has started licking his butt too, and his anus is a little bit red. They are both eating food recomended by a woman that works at the vet farmacy, they both have firm stools and I dont understand what is the problem, why did they start having this problems this year and didnt have them before. They dont have fleas and my vet sad it is not food alergy. I am so stressed, I dont know what am I doing wrong, please help.

Favorite Answer

First of all, stop being stressed. This is fixable with patience and thinking.

Have you tried any of the things that will bulk up the dogs stools? I have a small dog who, for some reason, her anal glands don’t express properly when she “goes”.

I give her “No Scoot” which I get from my vet, they are little treat looking/tasting things that bulk up her stool which helps things move along. You can also add fiber to the dogs diet in the form of cooked oatmeal, canned pumpkin, cooked squash or other veges (check the list of foods that aren’t recommended for dogs) to bulk up the stool.

You can also simply calendar routine expressing of the dogs anal glands.

I have a friend who does her own dogs glands about every two weeks because they don’t express properly. DON”T DO THIS without having your vet show you how. Don’t force anything, you could injure the dog and for some dogs, like one I had years ago, her glands were in a little awkward area and were challenging to express, so for that dogs, my vet recommended I NOT try this at home.

I have had a number of dogs over the last 30 years, sometimes as many as five at a time. Of all my dogs I’ve had three that had anal gland issues more than once, two have had to have active monitoring. One of those dogs I have now. I keep an eye on her behavior and if it looks like she might be having an anal gland issue, I take her to my vet for a tech visit to have them expressed - at my vet this visit is only $15-20.

It seems to me that if the second dog is starting to have this same issue, it is something in their food or environment, as anal gland issues are not contagious.

I try to avoid antibiotics (for both me and the dogs, although sometimes they are necessary) as they also kill good gut flora. You may want to consider probiotics to rebuild the gut flora.

My dog had this problem ALL THE TIME. Tbey told me it has to do with having protein in their diet. If theres little to none, this will happen. Try to look at the labels on the hard dog food brands and get the one with the highest protein content in it. If this doesnt help(it worked for mine) they also can take them out dogs dont need them, it's just how they mark their territory.

My Vet recommended that my dog's anal glands be removed, and so my dog had the surgery. It was that simple in my dog's case.

I don't recall it being any more "nasty" than any other surgery.

Has the Vet suggested just to remove the glands & do away with them? Their only purpose is to coat the poop as it comes out to give your dog his own personal smell. That's why dogs sniff each others butts. They serve no other purpose. I would opt to have them removed, stop the dogs suffering, end the constant Vet bills & worries.

Do some research on having them removed. Then talk to your Vet.

Anal glands can be a problem for one of two reasons:

1) Food allergies and unless your dog has been ALLERGY TESTED nobody can tell you it isn't that, especially as FAST as they refill and become problematic - again. The second suggesting reason for a food allergy or allergies plural - to more than one ingredient) is your dog has EAR problems which are NOT related to the anal glands (normally) but are related to the ROOT problem (of a food allergy) in all likelihood.

Or if the vet is STILL giving (i.e. pumping the dog full of antibiotics -either by pill or up his butt) it has KILLED off all GOOD gut flora and now the dog has a YEAST over-growth in both the ears & in the digestive tract - and THAT has now caused the ear problem. So in that way the Anal Glands could have INDIRECTLY caused the ear problems by the vet's over-use of antibiotics WITHOUT instructing you to give the dog some type of PROBIOTIC to replace the gut flora and keep the yeast, under control.

The SECOND way dog can have a problem with anal glands (filling & not emptying) is due to a LACK of fiber in the diet. Even if his stools are firm it does not mean the food has enough fiber. You did say you changed food brands.....why exactly did you DO THAT if nothing was wrong beforehand?

My advice:

1) go back to the old food or

2) put the dog on an elimination diet (if you think he has allergies) or

3) add some fiber to his diet like canned pumpkin OR pureed leafy green vegetables.

4) As Verulam said if the anal glands remain a problem, you can have them surgically removed - but it will never help YOU figure out the root issue, just solve that problem. They ought not to be a problem after castration.

Quite honestly, and I've been through the occasional bouts of this is some of my hounds, the more you mess around with these glands, the more they can become uncomfortable. I'm glad he's packing the glands, ratgher than treating this orally (which has never worked with mine) but it can also be that sometimes the a/b being used isn't getting to the infection. My current hound's AGs are apparently situated rather further back than 'normal' (which explains why I've never been able to empty them from outside) and this can mean even with a normal stool, they are not working as effectively as they should.

These glands, if you don't know, are never meant to be empty so even if the vet drains them, unless what's causing this problem (usually diet) will keep happening as they refil.

The final resort with AG problems, is to have them removed which, having had this done with our first hound, I'd try to avoid as it's a nasty op.

I don't see that an ear infection has anything to do with the AGs btw. Treat the ears, but if you can avoid having ANYTHING more done with the glands, I would. It sounds as if they need to settle down after all that prodding. If what's coming out is liquidy, I'd not suggest this suggests impaction/infection. Get a second opinion!!