Which sentence has the correct grammar?

I regret I wasn t born in this country V.S. I m sorry I wasn t born in this country.

I m trying to express disappointment. Which word should I use.?

I regret I wasn't born in this country V.S. I m sorry I wasn't born in this country.

I'm trying to express disappointment. Which word should I use.?

0 following 2 answers

I regret THAT I wasn't born in this country.

• John P

For simple disappointment: I wish I had been born in this country . As an answer to somebody s question about serious legal matters in the country: I m sorry, I wasn t born in this country - meaning that I do not full understand the legal system in this country.

• Zirp

outside anglo-land, you need to add the word "that"

I regret that I wasn't

I'm sorry that I wasn't

• Pontus

Both sentences are fine, with the exact same meaning (as long as you add the apostrophes as discussed in another answer.

I regret = I'm sorry. No difference in meaning at all.

I wish - is undoubtedly better, but people certainly do feel regret for things beyond their control, for right, wrong, or indifferent. Feelings don't always make sense.

• ML

"Regret" is quite proper word here.

Neither. You can't regret or be sorry for something that was beyond your control. Disappointment isn't the right word either. It would be better to say:

"I wish I had been born in this country."

• DJC

None of these sentences have the correct grammar. When you're using a contraction (like "wasn't") you have to put an apostrophe (') instead of a space. It's "wasn't," not "wasn t;" It's "I'm," not "I m." If you don't like apostrophes, then simply don't use contractions. Say "was not" instead of "wasn't," or "I am" instead of "I'm."

• bluebellbkk

:Matthew, the fact that there are spaces where there should be apostrophes shows that you weren't properly logged in when you typed your post, probably on your phone rather than a computer..

• Bee V2

You would use

"I regret that I was/wasn't born in this country."