How quickly can a house close after an appraisal?

The appraiser botched their report so it had to be reordered. They re finally going out to the house today to redo it. We re already a week behind on closing. How long can I expect it to take for us to close?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

An appraisal can be completed in a single day, but it would still need to be sent to the lenders underwriter for the loan to get final approval and closing documents can be sent to the closing attorney who must review and schedule the closing. So, it depends on how busy everyone is and that can't be predicted. On the short end, maybe 5 days, On the long end maybe 2.5 weeks.

• ...Show all comments
    • linkus86
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

And hence why I answered it depends on how busy other people are, and how that can't be predicted. And further stated "maybe ___"

• 6 months ago

If all the other work is done and all that's needed is a favorable appraisal, there shouldn't be much more delay.

But if some of the important work was not to start until the appraisal was correct, it could be weeks. If you don't have direct contact with the underwriter, go through your loan officer.

• 6 months ago

The appraiser has to work up his report & then send it to the management company the lender ordered it from for them to review.. normally a 2 or 3 day total delay. If everything else is done the underwriter will then receive it, review it & clear it to close. Then closer has to do the docs, schedule closing etc. No longer than a week total.

Source(s): Mortgage lender 33 years.
    • Glenn S
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

In my state a loan can't fund until two days pass after signing Docs. A cooling off period.

• 6 months ago

10 days at least.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 months ago

I've never heard of an appraisal needing to be re-done.

If you disagree with you, you submit your issue in writing - such as they said, it had no fireplace you say it does, they chose comps you don't agree with, etc.

- If they agree than they update the appraisal. No need to come back onsite.

• 6 months ago

If they're going out today means they should get the appraisal to the lender Tuesday. Then to underwriting say Thursday. The following Monday you should get a clear to close and the CD is sent to the buyer. Buyer has to wait three days so two weeks from today is a reasonable estimate.

• LILL
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

If all goes well with the appraisal and underwriting, expect to close mid August.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.