Have you ever worked two jobs? What was the reason?

When I was a kid I had two part time jobs. They refused to hire under 18 for more than 20 hours a week. One was about 20 hours a week, and the other was about 10 hours. I was still an "A" student in high school even working 30 hours a week.

I did it again when I was a university student. I had a full time job during the week, and went to school in the afternoon. I then worked a second job on Saturdays.

Much later I wanted to go on a long vacation. I had a full time job. I took a night job over Christmas. I only worked the night job for 8 weeks. I saved up a few grand for a nice vacation the following February.

I was thinking of getting a night job as a mall cop for a while. Do you think a software developer can work all day, and be a mall cop in the evening?

I am 53 now, so the periods I worked two jobs were many years apart.

I am looking to save up some extra cash to take my family on a European holiday.

Yes,so I could save to move out.

do you have debt or something

because you shouldn't be working yourself to death

you can end up with bad health or mental health issues you know

i work long hours 4 days a week and i have 3 days off. i like to go away for weekend trips or hang out with friends and family and i also have hobbies

i think you don't have a life and you need to get one

Yes and that's definitely a young person's game. It can be tough to coordinate schedules between different employers and get enough sleep. Also, the more limited your schedule the less value you provide to each employer. I've worked plenty of places where some people could only work one day a week. Those people weren't exactly put on a pedestal and glorified as the dependable, hard-working human beings they are. In fact, I'm sure the management would have preferred to hire someone else with greater availability if they could have.

The older you get the less able you are to handle that. When you're young everybody sees you as irresponsible anyway so it's no big deal but if you're older and need to be dependable it's probably not gonna happen. Sleep and being a reliable person is more important for a healthy being. The debt can go screw itself up the bum with a rusty pipe.

• RICK

Yes

Got into a financial bind about 40years ago

Worked 2 full time jobs for a year to get it straighted out

No need since then as that taught me not to be stupid with my money

The way you're carrying on about how awesome you were at it before, you certainly seem to think you're up to it.

• Marvin

LOL I am not so "awesome" as you put it, now that I am 50.

You can do this, shouldn't be a problem.

i worked 3 jobs in college and then in 2016, i worked two jobs to pay down debt. it was very hard and gets harder the older you get, mainly because of how much you can do.

of course you can do it, but i would say, if you're older, take at least one full day off for yourself. that saved my sanity. i worked a full time until 4pm, monday-friday, started second job at 5pm 3-4 nights per week, second job all day saturday, and gave myself sundays off from everything.

If you're a 9-5 developer who doesn't take work home or isn't heavily involved with computer stuff as a hobby you can do it for sure. I had a seasonal job I made great money at...I worked the Christmas holidays as a men's clothing salesman at a fine clothing men's store. It was all commission.

Actually a mall cop sounds like a good idea for someone who sits all day, it would be great exercise walking around all night.

• Marvin

I was thinking the same about walking around.