esa asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 6 months ago

I read on Wikipedia Crete has been settled since the stone age. How did people get there? They had no ships or planes back then.?

• xyzzy
    Favorite Answer

They did not have ships or of course planes but they did have boats moat likely dugouts. There are many islands between Crete and Greece or Anatolia.with only fairly short distances between them.

They rode on the backs of white bulls who swam across.

• Fred

10,000 years ago the Mediterranean Sea did not exist due to there still being in the Ice Age and the sea levels were much lower. Several thousand years ago the sea levels rose and the sea water flowed through the Gibraltar straits and flooded the area now known as the Mediterranean. They have discovered the remains of towns under the sae there of the early civilisation and it is believed the story of Noah's Ark comes from when the Mediterranean Sea formed and people had to flee to higher ground. Islands like Crete, Sicily, and Malta likely became refuges for people fleeing the flooding and civilizations started on them.

They tunneled in from Siberia, you utter twit.

They had stone tools to make boats from wood.

They were intelligent enough to notice wood floated on the water.

• JuanB

I looked about 30 seconds to find that stone age humans were making dugout canoes. A sizable group could travel in a small contingent of them. Don't forget that really only 2 humans (or even 1 pregnant 1) has to make it there to populate the place.

• Jerome

Dont believe everything you read especially with wikipedia.......

I dont know what to tell the younger generation on what to do in search of truth.

I always double and triple check references before i believe and trust wikipedia.

I use it more to confirm what I already know. Rather than a source of knowledge or information (accurate).

Are you sure they had no boats?

How about rafts?

• Mark

The didn't have ships like the ones you see on "Carnival Cruise Lines", but they had BOATS made out of something called "wood".