Why are knives not allowed to be sold to people under 18?

Its not alcohol

• Bruce

My state does not prohibit it.

However, retailers have the right to refuse service or restrict sales. The main reason is liability. If someone got hurt, they could be sued.

This is untrue in any state in the US. Possibly England or some other country. Alcohol is legal (to posses and drink, not buy) in some states, some situations for 18 yos and even a 13 yo at their Bar Mitzvah.

A retailer as Bruce said reserves right to refuse service to anyone. Perhaps One shop refused? One Wal Mart refused sale of 9mms to Loughner; the next sold him a box of 20. He shot ten when firing on Gabby Giffords later that day.

In my state, even a felon is allowed a pocket knife where extended, blade + handle does not exceed length of palm. A very nice AZ Ranger gave me lift to Globe, he saw my little Swiss Army pocket knife and Laughed.

Automatic knives are legal in my state.* So are Big Bowies, machetes, swords, etc. I think these are restricted to 18 yos as they can be very dangerous, you know how 10 year olds play with things. If one lost an eye playing with a switchblade, the liability.

Source(s): + So are automatic weapons ("machine guns") Very restricted though. I've shot a BAR, STEN, Maxim etc, Legally in Marana.

COMPANY policy, not law.

It also matters what type of knife you are referring to.

• R K

minors aren't supposed to be in possession of weapons.

• Cap'n. America

A pocket knife is Not a "weapon". Nor are a lot of guns. They May carry a firearm when in presence of parent or other responsible adult. I saw an 8 yo Legally fire an automatic AK-47.

• Daniel

Its not Safe a lot of Kids get there Hands on it and Use it to Hurt people

those under 18, and thus not considered an adult, are thought to be mildly incompetent in regards to things like that. young and dumb, if you will. it's for safety reasons.

• k.5 months agoReport

if you'd taken time to notice, and not assume, i never outright said it was illegal.