I'm all weird after having my spinal fluid taken out in an exam. How long will this last?

The doctor said I'd be good to go the following day but two days have passed since then and I'm just as bad. Headache, nausea, my tinnitus seemed to have gotten worse as well, tired eyes.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Call your doctor right away. It sounds like you might have a leak. If it's not too late, then the doctor can do a blood patch to close it and you should start feeling better almost immediately. If it's too late, they might want to hospitalize you and give you IV fluids until you heal up on your own.

The latter happened to me, because I didn't know about the blood patch and waited too long to contact my doctor. Cost me 3-4 days in hospital on IV fluids, painkillers and anti-nausea medicine, yet still feeling sick as a dog.

• Voelven
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

Good to know, thanks for chiming in. :)

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

I had this from a spinal tap too.It's from a small leak of spinal fluid. It usually will resolve by itself within a week but best to call your dr for advice. Lie flat as much as possible.

• 5 months ago

Drink plenty - but specifically _electrolyte_ type drinks.

eg. Gatorade

Or add two teaspoons of sugar and a quarter teaspoon of salt to a pint of water.

Plain water etc. does not work well as it messes up your body's electrolyte balance.

• 5 months ago

You need to call your doctor. Do you feel better lying down flat? Have some caffeine; that can help with spinal headaches. But you do need to talk to your doctor.

• manononbre5 months agoReport

Yes, I feel better laying down. It's the only way I get better actually. Someone here said it will resolve on its own; is notifying the doctor really necessary?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

i would call your doctor up and tell hirn youre still having problerns with it

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Yes I was the same, I felt out of sorts for a week.

Drink plenty, rest and take painkillers, it will pass.

UK

• 5 months ago

Call your doctor right now.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.