Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 5 months ago

Who's better trained state trooper or a city cop?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • james
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

National police are well trained in emergencies like typhoons, drug raids, major cases. Local police are better trained in family disputes, petty crime, civil matters. As they know the area they work in. Who is who & such. Local police here still walk a beat 2 hours a day average. Stop & talk to people. Are trusted by people in there area. National police are more out if disaster strikes or solving major crimes. They have non police skills like computer crime, drugs, bank robberies & such that don't stay in a local area.

• Bruce
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Training is set by state law, so there are probably many states where they receive the same amount.

Many state agencies are primarily responsible for highway safety, so they may not receive much training in criminal investigations.

With that said, the minimum training required when I went through the academy was 400 hours, and the state patrol academy required 800 hours. But most the extra training was in traffic enforcement and accident investigation. But that is my state, there are 48 others (Hawaii does not have state troopers)

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

State by far. More consistent. Some small towns just pin on a badge. Big cities require police academy and college.

The CO's at ADC were far better trained than Sheriff's dept. personnel at county. And, my city has population of one million.

REF: Down 3y 10mo saw state COs in action v. county and city. State personnel Far more professional. Including that AZ Ranger last June 10th. Because State has Deeper Pockets, More trained.

• 5 months ago

City cop I would think.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

i think theyre both trained good

• Cap'n. America
      Lv 4
      5 months agoReport

Varies. Some small towns just a pin a badge on. Big cities require Police Academy and some college. State troopers are well trained and the training is similar between states.

• Gary
    Lv 4
    5 months ago

Both are very good! Appreciate what they do.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.