1.7 GPA in high school. I'm a senior, and I want to go to college. Hear me out.?

I dealt with terrible mental health issues throughout high school. I was molested by my uncle freshman year, and ever since then, I've been diagnosed with depression, anxiety, and anorexia. I grew up in an abusive and toxic household, and still deal with that **** today. It's been a rough three years, and school was never my focus. I was mentally exhausted and it sucks, because I do love studying, and my dream is to become a surgeon. I want to get into college, and I intend on focusing on my schoolwork and mental health this year, since I recently started getting help. Is there any way I could go to college? I was going through so much **** for three years and never focused on my education, and I just feel like it's too late.

You can forget a university your first two years, it’s just not going to happen. Go to a community college and transfer after two years, that’s really your only option either that or trade school or find a job.

I agree with the community college advice - it's a perfect opportunity to stretch your aspirations. It doesn't matter how long it takes to get your education - just keep learning, just keep growing. Building a life for yourself is indeed a lifelong process.

Life is a buffet! (You have to get up and get it yourself)

• John

What's to hear out? Nobody can burst your bubble but you.

Medical school is expensive.

College is very stressful I've dealt with it while dealing with mental health and it's not easy. Your better off working on your mental health or you'll never make it through

its never too late, you jus have to initially invest some time to find out the right "method" for you to study, study smart! its possible if you work hard.

It might be a good idea to take a year off and just focus on your mental health.

Once that’s taken care of, start at a community college and work your way up. But definitely take time off first.

I did that. I took a semester off to focus on my mental health, and I came back stronger.

You absolutely must deal with your mental health issues before you really have any hope of getting into college & actually making it through. It appears you have not been getting adequate professional help to be doing so very badly for so very long. That should have been started immediately! You are not even ready to get into community college at this point. First, get well.

Then you have no choice but community college. If you do well for an associate's degree, then you can transfer into a 4-year university. Premed & med school are, at this point, extremely unlikely. None of your community college science & math courses will count for premed prerequisites, so despite 2 years for an associate's degree, even with superior grades, university admission into premed program is going to be extraordinarily difficult.

It's up to you to heal from your trauma, and then do extraordinarily well. Possible. But it will be a rough go. You cannot assess at this point whether you can get yourself up to such a challenge. Tend to business of getting well first.

If you are looking to become a surgeon, you are looking at years of intense, high-pressure study and training.

I would like to see you get your feet firmly under you, as you said you are recently beginning to get professional help. You have survived hard years. Get securely on your feet before making any major commitments.

The advice about community college is good. Test the waters. See how you feel about classwork and studying and supporting yourself.

Prepare for the SAT even if it is just checking out past tests from library. Take the exam. Take it again if you want.

It is good to have a high goal like surgeon, but it is considered one of the most highly specialized fields in medicine-- lengthy training, intense competition. Have a back up plan that would work for you, just in case, like RN or physician assistant, which also have specialties.

The worst is over. Many people reading your question can relate to your story. Your first job is to look out for your own well-being, then to plan and work for a future that will be fulfilling. Good wishes

A CC will accept like anyone, and then when you transfer the new school will only care about your CC GPA so you get to have a new slate.

I'm sorry you went through all of those things. I had a similar experience.

It's not too late. I go to Cornell. I have 2 friends. The first was addicted to cocaine in high school, was sentenced to various boarding schools throughout the west coast and finally got clean when she was 17. She went to community college and was granted admission into Cornell as a sophomore.

I know another guy, also from California. He had a D average in high school because he was constantly doing drugs and had a bad home life. He took 40 credit hours in a semester at community college and got a 4.0, then got admission into Cornell as a sophomore.

I'm not saying you have to go to Cornell but I'm saying kids with similar situations as you ended up turning their lives around and went to an ivy. You should start in community college, do well, then transfer into I suppose the best college you can find. Med school is really hard, and surgery is the hardest subset of med school, but I know that even if it's not med school I'm sure you're going to do great in life. I promise :)

• 5 months agoReport

Cornell's a big exception to that.