dark asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 5 months ago

What do people mean when they say the brown boot when referring to the military?

It is not Brown boot.........but rather, Brown shoe.

It's an old term for the color of shoes Naval officers used to wear with the khaki uniform.

The "sea going" officers wore black shoes.

Aviation officers wore brown shoes (and socks).

All officers wore black shoes with Navy blues, and white shoes with the white uniforms.

Source(s): US NAVY.
  • RICK

Many many years ago Naval officers had a dress kakai uniform with which they wore brown shoes

Then the uniform went away except for Naval Aviation so aviators were known as the brown shoe Navy

About 20 years ago they brought back dress kaskai but only aviators wear brown shoes

"Brown shoe" refers to the old days when military members wore brown shoes. Today, they wear black, except the desert boots which are still brown.

• Bill-M

I think you mean Brown Shoe not boot. Brown Shoe are Navy Pilots, Black Show are all the others not pilots.

• Big Mouth

I better hear some Kenny Loggins Danger Zone.

Brown shoe = air support. Black shoe = regular job.

• ricky

I think it means Army. The Navy has a Black shoe sailor. That being an active duty career minded Sailor, as opposed to a part time reservist like I was. Black shoe is the real deal Sailor. Do that a few decades, and you become Salty.

a brown boot, vs a black boot

In WWII brown boots are what Army aviators wore before they separated and became the Air Force.

• John

The only boots I saw in my 4 yrs active were black. Never heard that about brown boots.

• Frank

Never heard the expression. But soldiers wear BOOTS. Some BLACK...some other COLORS...so brown is not out of the realm of possibility.