can you drive with handbrake?

My brake pad is not working at all, and now im on a budget. My job is like 2 mins driving/10 mins walking from my home. but Im 2nd shift and not feeling like to walk to home at 1 am in a not so safe neighborhood.

So my question is can I drive with my handbrake at 15-20 mph speed? will that do a lot of damage to my car?

i did drive with handbrake only and it did stop my car every time, but I had to drive 10 mph to do that.

• Jay P
    Favorite Answer

Can you drive? Absolutely!

Can you stop using only the handbrake? Yes, but the stopping distance is greatly increased. Then there is that pesky issue of many people never using the e-brake on their vehicles so the one time it is used, it is seized and won't actually engage or it engages but won't release...

• Edna

You can drive with a handbrake applied (after a fashion), but you can't count on a handbrake to stop a car you're driving. A handbrake (sometimes referred to as a "parking brake") would do a piss-poor job of bringing your car to a stop. .A handbrake is used to prevent your car from rolling forward or backward after you've parked and turned off the engine.

• don r

Try it and see, but not where there is any other traffic or solid obstacles you might hit. Asking a question like that suggests that you need to see it to believe it. Driving with just a handbrake is very dangerous, even at less than 30 mph.

Source(s): after a brakeline burst it was the only way I could stop my car, taking tremendous effort and length.

No. No you cannot because the hand brake is meant for that kind of braking.

Don't drive if the brakes are not working. The hand brake can't stop the car in time and you'll hit someone or something.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

If the brake doesn't stop it, something will.

No. If you think you can you shouldn't hold a licence.

Handbrakes work off the same pads as the foot brake.

They are designed to hold a stationary car not stop a moving one.

• Robsteriark

On many cars they work on separate pads/shoes. Most Porsche models are one example.

NO. You risk causing accident or crashing into someone or something.

Best thing you can do is walk, take a cab or uber.

If you choose to drive I hope your insurance is paid up. And they may not cover you (more than likely not), since it is a mechanical failure, and faulty equipment. And you should not drive at all. You are risking life and limb of everyone else besides you.

FYI that 'handbrake' is actually a PARKING BRAKE. Not meant for the use you think you can do with it.

The handbrake is underpowered and won't stop the car like regular brakes. If you want to drive with out brakes then an accident will happen soon. Just walk and carry a handgun. It will work.

• asv5 months agoReport

I cant carry my gun to work.