Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsOther - Pets · 5 months ago

Okay. I have two guinea pigs and I’m thinking about moving them outside. I have two girls and I would like help with the hutch idea.?

The temperature varies from really hot to cold. Temperature can be 100 degree in summer and 20 degrees in winter. I’m also worried about someone stealing my precious pets if they’re outside and other animals trying to get them. I want a hutch. That is safe. For the hot days I was wondering what I could do for them. Could I install a mini air conditioner into their hut? Add fan, what would help them stay cool. Or should I just bring them inside on those hot days. During the winter should I add a heater? Or is that a risk? Of course I would put it where they can’t get to it to close. I want my guinea pigs to be able to live their life to the best of their ability. I love them to death and I won’t do anything that will harm them. This is why I’m asking for advice ❤️

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

Qno no and NO! Guinea pigs cant survive the heat. And the cold is too harsh. Keep them inside. Anyone who thinks that guinea pigs can handle extreme heat or cold is a moron. And you are the definition of a moron

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Keep them inside. Put them in a part of your house where there is shade. If they went outside predators can get to them. They can overheat from the dangerous heat wave. Don't put the fan in the cage. Put it next to the cage. Make sure they have a fresh supple of water. Follow those 2 tips and I am sure they will be fine. I do this for all of my rodents. Including guinea pigs.

• Ocimom
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

I suggest you look up rabbit hutches and how to make them or buy one. Guinea pigs can live in an outdoor rabbit hutch that is weather proof with a roof on it and you have compartments inside that will protect from the wind/cold.

• 5 months ago

I keep mine outside in the summer, they get a lot of attention, it's healthier for them to breathe outside air than indoor polluted air all the time. They will not get eaten if in a good cage, they will enjoy the sun ands fresh air, they will also need shade to hide. They will not freeze to death either, because this is inly for the summer. My guineas always stay outside in the summer and are never neglected.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

Keep them inside. They will die in 100 degree weather. They also don't want to be cold, wet, deal with bugs, get stolen, get eaten etc. Guinea pigs also tend to not get the attention they need when outside.

• 5 months ago

Where piggies live in the wild is a mild temporate climate. They would not survive in temperatures you described.

The6 would no longer be pets, just animals you have to care for.

No human socialization and no getting away from the predator scare factor.

Best they live indoors, bu5 they would love a little outdoor time in the grass.

Means a fully enclosed run for them including hidy places.

• J C
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Why do you have pets that you are going to put outside? There is no really safe hutch and no matter what, predators are going to really scare those poor piggies when they try to get into that hutch. And who is going to pay attention to them? Clean their hutch daily? No one. If you love them so much keep them indoors so they can be cared for properly or find them a home that will. Outdoor pets quickly become neglected pets. They will freeze to death, die in the heat, or get eaten by something.

• 5 months ago

If they are so precious why would you put them out side in obviously dangerous temperatures where predators can reach them.

You are a moron.

• patty
      Lv 5
      5 months agoReport

maybe he can sleep outside with them

• patty
    Lv 5
    5 months ago

just leave them inside

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.