Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 6 months ago

Why are people still racist?

One of my peers had a thesis defense today and because everyone was welcomed to attend, I went to see how it was like. When I walked into the room, there was the student, supervisor, and two other people huddled together talking something. I didnt know them but said hi to each of them, but they didn't say anything. I then said I'll come back later when it is actually starting time. Two extra people then showed up and so I walked in with them. The supervisor immediately said hi to them even though she didnt know them and ignored me when I piped in a cheerful tone that I'm here to listen too. I hope it wasn't because I'm a student of color. The only question the supervisor asked me a few minutes later was if so and so would be sitting where. How would I know? I knew no one in that room.

• Favorite Answer

People are racist because:

1. They are bitter with life. If you carry a hateful spirit towards life and everyone, you are at 99% chance of being racist. People who are treated with compassion will not be racist or tolerate racism.

2. Propaganda and no research. Some people don't use or bother using critical thinking skills. They don't bother to do research to see what is presented to them on the media is false.

3. Peer Pressure. Some people are afraid that if they don't carry the racist mentality that they will be fired from jobs or harassed in their community for not going along.

4. They had bad experiences with a particular group/s.

5. Their peers and superiors don't call them out enough on their racism

Its not the race that people are against. Its the lifestyle. For example, I'm not racist towards blacks but I dont like the hoodrats.