Bed bugs on holiday?

I m pretty sure i "caught" bed bugs on my holidays in Japan. I have itchy red bumps all over my legs and some on my arms and i dont get bitten by mosquitoes that much so I m pretty sure theyre bed bugs. I just came home and left my suitcase and backpack outside. I moved some of my clothes from my suitcase to the washing machine in a closed bag and washed them at 60 degrees celsius. I brought some of my souvenirs inside though bc it s food and it woukd be a shame if they became spoiled. I also brought my phone and chargers inside. Is it okay to do so or is there a high chance that there will be bed bugs on them? Online i only read stuff about washing your clothes but nothing about other stuff. So is it okay to bring shoes, books, toiletries erc. inside? I dont want to throw anything away.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • C
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Are you sure that they're bedbug bites? Bedbugs like to return near the same spot for a nibble so one thing that distinguishes them is that they tend to be grouped in a linear fashion or sometimes almost geometrically. They're also large bumps, are frequently purplish, itch like mad and have a tendency to run easily when scratched. Fleas, lice, and other bity things are also candidates.

• 4 months ago

It is more likely you ran into some fleas somewhere in your journey. They are so small they can bite you and you won't even know it.

• 4 months ago

Bedbugs are visible, but they will hide anywhere they can, including in books. Your toiletries are safe, but in order to kill the eggs, all your clothing and bedding should be put in a dryer. The mattress should be covered with a mattress cover, which is fairly expensive, but bed bugs can be terribly persistent. If you get rid of them now, that should work. I would get rid of the luggage.

• carrie
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

You needed to inspect everything that you bought inside the house thoroughly, but you have done all the correct things. I would say it is unlikely that you will have an infestation of bed bugs.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.