Hey now R&P- how does buying a new album and listening to it for the first time make you feel?

Can you share a memorable experience about hearing an album for the first time?

I asked this question because back in the day you'd invite friends over to hear it together. Downloading or receiving a CD in the post provides little joy i've found. Maybe i'm just old.

• Tony B

I came from a poor family and I didn't even have access to a record player until I started work and could afford to get one from my mother's mail order catalogue. So I had a LOT of catching up to do. I was really keen on music and there was SO much I wanted to hear.

When I first started buying albums I can remember the excitement. Getting on the bus home and being able to have a good look at the record sleeve and read all the info. An album was an object, a thing. It wasn't just the music on it. I can remember the inner sleeves that used fo advertise other records by artists on the same label. Names like Quatermass, Pete Brown's Piblockto, Bakerloo...

When I got home, if I already had heard a track from it I'd probably start with that and then let the disc run on. Often I'd listen on headphones as my mother would be watching TV or because I didn't want any negative comments! Sometimes I'd get to the end of an album and think, “Is that it? I'm not keen!”. Often though records I wasn't so keen on to start with became my favourites.

It was a magical experience and, of course, you listened with the sleeve in your hands - it was part of the album.

CDs aren't the same although I prefer them for sound quality. I have no interest in downloading unless that's the only way I can get something I want.

• Binks

Hey now Livin', another good, debatable question. Hearing a new album, especially when you experiment like I do, can have opposite reactions. What I mean is, when you listen to something new, but have heard one or more tracks ahead of time, you kind of expect more of the same. But when you are completely blind as to what to expect from an artist you've never heard before, strange reactions tend to happen. I have found that if you like something the first time you hear it, those kind of recordings get old fast. Now if you hear something new and it just doesn't hit you, doesn't mean that it's a bad thing. A lot of bands and artists try to come up with original sounds, and in a way your brain isn't trained to hear their sounds. I have heard from other people that you should force yourself to hear it at least five times. It's like a blossoming flower. If it's brilliant, that flower should open by the fifth time and you get a different reaction than when you heard it the first time. Sometimes that reaction is incredible, and you now hear the brilliance you couldn't hear the first time. That has happened many times with various artists I've heard. Sometimes you buy something and you hear it once, kind of write it off, and it sits for years without being heard. One day you pick it up and say, "Ok, I'll give it another chance." Suddenly you realize that you're hearing it from another perspective, and it sounds ten times better than when you first heard it. Eureka!! Built To Spill was a great, ear opening experience. It went from one random CD that I bought for a dollar, heard three songs that didn't really impress me, to the one song that blew me away, to accessing their entire catalog. This was a band I never heard one iota of their sound until that one CD, and from a band who formed in 1992. It's hard to believe that this band could have passed me by forever, but by chance, or luck, or whatever, gave me a rose garden. Something to smile about. Peace, friend, I tend to rant. :)

• Hey now Binks. Superb answer man. I love what you said about the evolution of the listening experience.

I recall that while I waz working in Greece, I firzt heard the`Abbey Road` album at a dizco

and I gave a month`z notice and returned home!

I ztill mizz greece, however!

Disappointed, usually. Sadly. At least with far too many newer releases (and by that I mean late 90s on). Just because a CD can hold 70+ minutes of music, it doesn't mean it SHOULD. If you didn't have 70+ minutes of quality songwriting (or improvisation, depending on the genre), you shouldn't have released an album of the length you did. The LP, for all its limitations, was great in that it forced artists/producers to craft and release albums that were good from start to finish and sans filler/bloat.

• That's a very interesting point of view JAYAL. There definitely are worthwhile albums being released but on so many occasions I agree exactly with what you said.

• Quato

Getting home with Blackwater Park by Opeth on the day it released was a joy, I got home and went in the lounge room to put it in the big stereo sat in a recliner and just soaked it in, with a big smile on my face.

• Maggie

Hi Livin'.. I know it sounds silly, but I still get goosebumps like when I got my very first vinyl record. I don't download as I've said before, but no matter what format and how often you purchase, once the passion is there, it never leaves.

• Hi Maggie, that's not silly at all, and I am sure you are not alone in that. I think all of us music fans have experienced something like this. Thank you.

I have surround sound in my room as I have speakers on 2 sides of the 4 sides of my room. I have 2 speakers that sit under my bed lying flat, and I have 2 next to my stereo, and one on the floor. So when I listen to music it sounds as if I am sitting on it, as if the music is under me like a rocket.

I resently listened to Mayhem's "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas" with this set up while laying down in my bed. It sounded so ambient. So omnipresent.

Cds sound fuller in a way that mp3s just dont, in my opinion.

Source(s): .56
    • Lv 7

takk. I'd upvote your question if I could.