i have a gallon container and I need 1 part concentrate to 5 parts water how much concentrate do I use?

You don't have to FILL the container do you? As long as you add 1 unit of concentrate and 5 units of water then you have no problem.

You don't say WHICH gallon you have. A US gallon is significantly smaller than an imperial gallon.

So I would take out my ( metric) jug and put in 600 ml of concentrate and 3 Litres of water.

giving 3.6 Litres of mix which would fit nicely into a US gallon.

If I had an imperial gallon I would mix 700 ml of concentrate and 3.5 L of water giving 4.2 L of mix that again would fit nicely into a 4.5 L gallon container.

In both cases with just sufficient "slosh room" to mix the concentrate properly.

Too full and there is no room to move so the result is unsatisfactorily mixed.

How much water is in the container?? Convert to a small unit (ounces? milliliters?) and then divide by 5.

How about taking a large glass and put 1 glass of concentrate in the pail and 5 glasses of water in the pail?!

• Viola G5 months agoReport

try it and note the results. Don't forget to write down your results.

If you are in the U.S. there are 128 ounces in a gallon. 128 divide by 6 = 21.3 ounces which is the concentrate you should add.

• Phil M

21.33 fluid ounces.

1 part + 5 parts = 6 parts.

1/6 of a gallon = 2 2/3 cups.

1/6th of a gallon of concentrate to 5/6 of a gallon water. Good luck finding a measuring device with sixths of a gallon markings.

• Andrew Smith

Stephen. None of my measuring cups have a "2 2/3" marking on them.
      Anything capable of measuring this much in a single addition ( a 1 litre jug for example) does not have such markings. Even a single cup does not have a "2/3" marking on it. 1/2 . 1/4 etc yes.

• paul

do your own home work