Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentCivic Participation · 5 months ago

What will happen if I flatly refuse to do jury duty?

I mean I'm a busy woman don't have time for all that crap. I don't have time to solve a criminal's life, have enough problems of my own.

• bond
    Favorite Answer

You can be fined or jailed. A better way is to hint that you have prior knowledge or strong opinions of possible cases.

• John H

In most jurisdictions, you may go to jail. That will waste more time than serving on a jury.

Then you will go to Jail unless you have an extremely valid reason to NOT do your jury duty. Just because you are busy - is NO excuse.

• Truth

you will flatly go to jail

You may be fined and forced to go anyway.

• DON W

You will be arrested, and then will have to face a jury of people who did show up for jury duty. After hearing you speak your mind, they will likely find you guilty and urge the judge to lock you up.

You'll be found in contempt of court and serve time in jail and/or pay a huge fine. It will go on your record.

Suppose you're the one who is arrested for something you didn't do?

Well the judge would decide if you have a reason to be released but if I were you I wouldn't just say I am not going to do it. If you tell him you don't have time to deal with some criminals life, he might remove you for having bias against the defendant. But flat refusing to do jury duty could get you some time to rethink that idea in a jail of the judges choice.

• Huh?

You would most likely be charged with contempt of court. You can be excused if you have a good reason,but you can't refuse because you just can't be bothered.

Then you will be arrested and taken to court or sent to jail, which will take more time than jury duty would have taken.