Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingBaby Names · 5 months ago

Can Robert be short for Robin?

My son's name is Robin but we want to start calling him Robert because there's a girl in his kindergarten class named Robyn.

The girl is bIack by the way so it's out of the question to just keep calling him Robin

But Robin is shorter than Robert?

No, it can not be. Aside from that what does the skin color of the girl have to do w/ the name? It is not that big of a deal on either issue. If you have a problem w/ non caucasians, you need to wake up and smell the coffee- the U.S. is becoming more racially mixed all the time.

This is ridiculous. There CAN be two Robin’s, male and female. This IS NOT an issue for the school, just for those that stir up drama. I had two Lyn’s in class, boy & girl. Through the years, Chris has been either a boy or a girl.

One kid in class is Robin with an “”I””. And one with a “”y””. It’s nit that’s hard. You don’t change names just to make the school happy.

FYI Robert is a completely different name. My name is Robin Ann. I would hate to be known as a Roberta. My name is my name. If your son was named Chris, and three girls in class were also named Chris would you still be changing names? And then what next year when there are no girl Chris’ in his class? Change it back?

Source(s): Oh wait —- you are trolling. So a white girl named Robin is OK, but a black girl named Robin it’s a crisis ??? Call HER parents and tell them to give her an appropriate girl name.
  • GEEGEE

The opposite would be more likely- Robin short for Robert. But you can call him anything you want. They can be called Robin X and Robin Y, with the letter for their last name.

No, maybe Robby?

• GB

Others are more likely to think Robert is his real name, and Robin a pet form of it. Your son will wonder why his name suddenly 'has' to be changed. Do you feel comfortable telling him it's not right because a black girl in his class has the same name?

Listen, if school kids can deal with having three Ashleys or Heathers in a classroom, they can deal with having two Robins. The kids will have different genders and different name spellings. (But I think this is a troll question, anyway.)

• Bleu

What does the girl being black have to do with anything? Either way, Robert is definitely not short for Robin, but I can understand using Robert as an alternative name to help him stand apart from his classmate.

um no Robert is a full name on its own and I have never EVER heard of someone calling a Robin a Robert. Rob for a boy maybe, but not Robert

No. Robert is not short for Robin.