Why were Kinder eggs banned in America?

My American friends tell me that Kinder Surprises were banned from the US, why's that?

• JonZ

Because people are too stupid not to choke on the little toy and the government banned them. Now in the US the company sells Kinder Joy, which has two halves- one side with chocolate and the other side has the toy.

• JonZ

Oh please! The rest of the world trust their kids not be so stupid!

• chorle

There is currently a version but it is an awful tasting frosting and from what my internet friend told me Finders Keepers is much more like their Kinder.

I linked to an article about because it has something inside that isn't food,

because people choked on the toys

Apparently people in the US couldn't be trusted not to eat the toys inside...

Choking Concerns. Though I don't know how considering the little toy comes in a fairly large protective capsule that would be impossible to miss. I've grown up with Kinder Suprise eggs and so did all my siblings and now their kids do too. Same with all my friends.

Because the toys inside the eggs were dangerous

Banned Kinder Eggs Say What?

Because Americans are too stupid to tell the difference between candy and plastic.

• ckngbbbls

apparently so are UK and French kids because both have also had deaths due to the hidden surprise. Read on.
      https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/12112909/french-girl-reportedly-dies-after-choking-on-kinder-surprise-toy.html

• geezer

Because in America parents are too stupid to realise that young children could choke on the toy inside the egg, and so, to be on the safe side, the whole product has been banned.

Also .. in America people are too interested in sueing when something happens rather than taking responsibility for their own actions.

In the rest of the world parents understand the concept of supervision when a child is playing with something that they could choke on.

Also .. they are quite capable if reading the warning that is quite clearly written on the wrapper.

• JonZ

Its called natural selection!

• Yes

We still have Kinder Eggs, just without the surprise. And they were banned because people kept chocking on them, and the company that produces the eggs kept getting sued by the Americans.

• ckngbbbls

that law has been in effect since back in the 1930's. France ahd UK has had deaths due to the same candy.