Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenOther - Home & Garden · 5 months ago

Apartment living- How can I make sure I am not disturbing the neighbors below me?

In the past , there have been issues at one particular apartment I lived at .

The neighbor below me was bothered due to the fact that he could hear me walking on the floor above him.

At my current dwelling, this is not an issue . The floors are quality made and you can barely hear anything.

However , I am moving out of my current place into another apartment , which I believe is cheaply made.

How can I make sure I am not disturbing my neighbors?

Are there special house shoes or slippers that I can buy?

Or should I not wear shoes at all of any kind in the house?

Easier for a woman than a man. You always remove your shoes but also walk softly. Believe me, I have been on both ends of abuse & it doesn't take much.

What I have chiefly learned from 50 years of apartment dwelling is summed up in : Never take an apartment with someone above you. Leave that for the suckers. You will always find that the turnover rate is much greater in the one-down apartment.

You can:

Take off your shoes at the front door. Wear slippers, socks or just bare feet.

Purchase area rugs that cover most of the floors in your rooms.

Tell the guy below you to buy some ear plugs.

Wear soft shoes and walk lightly. Crocs would be ideal. Some people always walk by setting their heels down first, which is fine outdoors. Indoors, use your toes more.

Scatter eggshells all over your floors and practice walking on them!

Or, you could just go downstairs, introduce yourself to your downstairs neighbor, give them your phone number, and ask them to call you if it ever bothers them.