Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 5 months ago

Is it possible to learn a language fluently after 18 yrs of age?

I know little kids absorb information like it's nothing. My cousins are 12 yrs old and speak 4 languages fluently. I'm 18 and only speak two. I wanna learn another one, but is it too late? And I use the internet to learn.

Children and teenagers as well are pretty fluent in their native language.However their fluency is still limited.to the extent that they have learned their language.

Also you can be rather fluent in a foreign language and still do not know all that much.

Captain Matticus is correct.

Research has shown that adolescents and adults don't perform slower than children in learning a foreign language.

It's never too late.

Depending on your foreign language aptitude/talent for language learning, yes.

I have relatives in the US who've been here for decades and still haven't mastered English.

Certainly it's easier BEFORE 18 - in fact, before about 15 - but it is certainly not too late after 18. Get to work.

Yes. 18 is still young enough to pick up on learning foreign languages easily.

• Zirp

to learn a language to fluency? Sure .

What do you mean by "the internet"? Google Translate often is (very) wrong

• You never stop learning as long as you continue to try. The whole thing about kids being able to acquire language easier than adults is just a myth. Kids spend nearly 2 to 4 years absorbing every word, inflection and accent before they start to speak. They spend that time learning body language and facial expressions as well. They're not little language savants or anything. They're just observant and they're pre-programmed to be observant.

So, yes, you can learn another language if you want. If you couldn't, then they wouldn't offer foreign language programs in college and they wouldn't sell language programs for the computer.

Well im 40ish and can only speak english(northern uk dialect),but no its never too late to learn something new

I only learned Spanish and English before I was 18. I didn't get fluent in German until years later and am currently learning Japanese. It is more difficult and learning anything should be done as early as possible.