8GB of Ram as 2666 MHZ, or 16GB of Ram as 2400 MHZ?

Which one performs better in gaming wise, or does it not matter?

• Fulano
    Favorite Answer

Some of the newest games will chew through 8 GB of RAM, it really depends on what games you play. You can watch your RAM usage in Task Manager and see if you're getting close to that 8 GB mark with your regular games.

As for the speed of the RAM, from what I've seen it's like a 2 FPS difference with Intel chips, so not really worth it to worry about. With Ryzen chips the difference is bigger, but most of the tests I watched were showing things like 100 fps on the slower RAM speed, and 110 fps on the faster RAM speed... which seems to me it wouldn't matter for those gaming at 60 FPS.

Extra RAM doesn't make a machine faster, but not having enough makes things really slow, so if you want the machine to be more future proof, go with the 16 GB.

Not a huge speed difference between either, so, you're better off future-proofing with 16GB. The performance difference is negligible at best.

If the 8GB unit has a better CPU and GPU, you can later expand it to 16GB if BIOS and slots permit.

You really need 16gb for modern day gaming.

The gaming difference between 2400mhz and 2666mhz will be almost non-existent and much of the performance difference will hinge on cas latency speeds anyway.

Currently, I don't have much going on - Explorer, Firefox with ~40 tabs, Thunderbird, DigiKam, Discord, AmazonMusic, Fusion360, Steam and Neverwinter Nights waiting in the background, and I'm already using ~11 GB. If I had only 8 GB physical RAM, the system would already be swapping and therefore slowing down to disk access speed (I see that @work a lot). So, if these two are your only choice, my vote would definitely be for 16 GB@2400 MHz.

In a gaming computer, a faster GPU, will suit you better.

It would likely be better to have 16GB of Ram in a gaming desktop