Bridget asked in HealthOther - Health · 5 months ago

Can I have two surgeries at once if I ask the drs and they agree?

I have an acl tear and need my tonsils out could I do both surgeries at once?

amputate your arm, you can have 3 surgeries.

Sometimes a surgeon will permit this, if your health is excellent otherwise.

• Sam

Why would they do that when they can bill your insurance for two hospital visits instead of one.

If only the surgeon agrees.

• Murzy

Usually DRs will do one at a time unless both are related.

• In

No. Knee surgery takes far more time than a tonsillectomy and the anesthesiologist will have a mask over your nose and mouth, so the ENT Doctor can't get in.

• Sam

intravenous anesthesia. They could do it but they most likely won't.

Yes, you can ask.

But not only do the Doctors have to agree.

The Hospital, and more important the Insurance Company have to agree.

There is Money involved here, No body wants to lose their share (kick-back).

Remember the Hospital& the Anesthesiologist will be losing a chance for a second billing.

No, you can't. A single surgery requires a set amount of time with a particular set of instruments and staff. Anaesthetics have to be precise and a patient shouldn't be under anaesthetic longer than is necessary for one surgery. An ear-nose-and throat surgeon is different to an orthopedic surgeon (for your acl tear) and one surgeon doesn't do it all. The type of anaesthetic is also likely to be different. You can't get both surgeries done at the same time.

Yes you just need to fill a special form and give it to the receptionist before your appointment. Otherwise even if the doctors want to they will not be able to if you haven t filled up the form.