Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 5 months ago

Can you recommend a good saw kitchen use, like something for processing a whole lamb shoulder or loin?

Something from personal experience, please.

• denise

A small hack- saw should be OK for this job,

You could ask your local butcher for his help/advice.

OK, I use a hacksaw blade that I ran through the dishwasher, then put in a hacksaw frame. I also have a bone saw, from my wife's grandfather. It looks like a supersize hacksaw, but I don't know how to sterilize it.

Any boring butcher's bone saw will do. It looks like a hack saw for metal but the blade is different. For a simple shoulder, you don't need a bone saw. That's more for cutting a whole cow's leg in half. Obviously a 4ft "forearm" won't fit in even most commercial ovens. The thing is you really should know what you;re doing if you use one. You can't breath the dust and you have to get the shavings off the meat ASAP. Knowing how to get to the places where the cut needs to be made is important too or you'll just have raggedy, messy meat

A sharp good quality utility and chef's knife is all you need. A saw blade will shred the meat.

• Rick

I'd love to watch you cut a slab of short ribs off a side of beef with a chef's knife.