Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 5 months ago

Can my landlord take my keep my pet deposits & my security deposit?

She's claiming damage has been done to the place I was renting. She said the security deposit isn't near enough to pay for the damages, so she's also going to keep the pet deposit also. My two cats were outside all the time, so they didn't cause any damage.

Can my landlord keep my pet deposits & my security deposit? Made a typo in question.

She must prove damage and you have the right to prove there isn't any. If there is damage, it makes no difference how it was caused. That's for the security deposit. For her to keep the pet deposit, pet damage must be proven.

• R P

Absolutely. Your animal damaged her property so you are liable for the cost of repair.

If the damage is as much as the total (sum) of the two deposits, I don't see what not. Normally, if the damage is more than the security deposit, you have to pay the landlord for the rest of the damage.

You owe the money anyway, so you can let her keep the pet deposit, or you can pay the difference, it's all the same.

Depends how much damage there is

She needs to provide an itemised list, with receipts, to show ALL costs that she's taking out of your deposit

If the damages you have done to her place can be proven with pictures, most landlords do take pictures of the place before a tenant moves in, then your deposit can be taken. As for taking the pet deposits, if the damages done isn't enough money to pay for the damages then I would think the landlord could also keep the pet deposit to add to the security deposit of what you have done. The landlord can take you to small claims court & request more money if she has had to spend more money than your deposit or pet deposits added up to.

• Sal*UK

So you do have photos to show how the place was when you moved in? WHich will prove your cats didn't do the damage she alleges? Hope you do anyhow

Send the landlord a certified mail letter, stating to either return your pet deposit, or request an itemized list of the pet damage, and return whatever balance there is.

• Maxi

Reality is yes, however you took photos when you left ( hopefully) and you can ask the landlord for photos of damage done, a copy of the invoices to repair the damage and if the landlord doesn't provide them, then you can take the landlord to small claims court to try to get your deposit back

She needs to provide evidence. Did she take pictures before you moved in, or was there a written report documenting the existing condition of the apartment versus when you moved out?

She needs to document how much she spent making the repairs as well. A vague, "isn't near enough" isn't sufficient.