My friend slapped her son across his face in front of his friends for calling her a b*tch. Should a mother really strike her own son's face?

My friend was having a party at her house, and had invited some of her friends, while her son had some of his mates over. He's 16, slightly rowdy but I always found him reasonably polite. Anyway, three of us were sitting in the TV room when he and a couple of his friends barged in, playfully shoving each... show more My friend was having a party at her house, and had invited some of her friends, while her son had some of his mates over. He's 16, slightly rowdy but I always found him reasonably polite.

Anyway, three of us were sitting in the TV room when he and a couple of his friends barged in, playfully shoving each other. His friend shoved him a little too hard and he knocked a teapot over. He was about to leave the room when his mother called him firmly back and told him to clean up. And he said he was with his friends and to do it herself.

But she ordered him to do so right away, and I think in front of his friends it embarrassed him. And he muttered, "f*ck off, you're such a b*tch". She got up and, in front of his friends smacked him across the face so hard his head snapped to the side. It literally made the noise slaps do in films, and he looked at her in such surprise and hurt you could see the humiliation radiating from him. Without another word, he quietly cleaned up.

I've always felt uncomfortable with striking anyone in the face. It's degrading, since the face is a person's identity, and how he felt afterwards was written clearly on his face. To have a mother humiliating her son like that in front of 6 people feels even worse. Should she have hit him, and is it acceptable to strike his face?