Can anyone give me their opinion on what I should do in the Canadian navy?

I recently took my cfat to be a navy reserve officer, the recruiter said since I have not yet completed my degree that I did not score high enough to be an officer cadet. She said I could join now as NCM (which I scored high enough for every trade but one) and then apply to be an officer when I graduate, retake the cfat, or reapply once I completed my degree. What do you guys think is best? my only concern with writing the cfat again is I only have 2 tries left in my whole life. I am halfway done my degree also.

While it might be possible to complete a degree as an NCM, in practical terms, it is pretty difficult, especially when you are in the Navy. Now, the CF loves educated people, and will do a lot to help, but, not if it interferes with your work, or going out to sea.

My advice would be to complete your education, then join as an officer. Or, join now, and forget the degree, or, at least put it on the back burner. As an NCM, your first year, or two will be pretty much all training anyway, leaving no time for University education.

There is the University Training Plan, but, you need to be a Leading Seaman as a minimum to apply, and that will take at least 4 years. And, not all who apply get it.

• Gabriel5 months agoReport

Ya I was thinking that as well. The recruiter was saying to do ncm then apply for officer but I was feeling like that would be risky, and potentially wasting my 2nd test may not be a good move either. Thanks.

........................................................

Yes, EVERYONE can give you their opinion. Most aren't worth the paper they are printed on, and I am fully aware they are not printed.

If you aren't mature enough to decide for yourself what you want to do is an indication that you aren't mature enough to join.

• ?

Finish degree then retake the test.