Do clouds prove the Earth is round?

I was thinking, clouds have flat bottoms because water only condenses above a certain altitude, right? So by that logic, wouldn't all clouds in a certain place be roughly the same height?

If so, wouldn't the fact that clouds in the distance seem to be lower in the sky than closer clouds prove the Earth is round? Surely a perspective like that is only possible when viewed from a point on a sphere.

If I'm wrong please let me know but I thought this sounded good in my head lmao.

No.

Clouds can appear closer to the horizon in the distance because they are further away. That completely dominates the effect, Earth's curvature will only have a small effect which is overshadowed.

• Tom S

Yes, one off the many observational "proofs"

Yes I guess so. Like you may on a clear day see the top of a cululonimbus (which may be high a Mount Everest) be poking just above the horizon.

You can see the round shadow of the Earth on the moon for crying out loud!

• Dude5 months agoReport

Yes I know, I'm not saying the Earth is flat, I'm just wondering if clouds also prove the Earth is round.

I don't notice that effect here because there are mountains on the horizon all around.

The ancients knew the earth was round from three pieces of evidence. One was that when ships went over the horizon they could be seen to disappear bottom-first, and re-appear tops first. The second was that they understood a lunar eclipse was the earth's shadow on the moon. And it was always round, no matter what angle, so the earth must be a sphere. The third proof was done with gnomons. A gnomon is a stick you stick in the ground and track the end of the shadow. An ancient Greek named Eratosthenes calculated the earth's actual diameter within 1% by comparing the shadows of two gnomons a known distance apart.