Is 1 week notice justified in this situation?

I work for a plumbing/sewage company as helper. My current company misled me into believing that they could sponsor me to get my master plumbing license and then tried to fain ignorance when I called them out.

In addition, I am constantly being put into positions where I’m working 60+ weeks with some days lasting 16+ hours (The worst ever was a 23 hour shift - they tried to do this to me again last week and I bluntly told them no). FYI they wanted me to work Tuesday from 3:30 am to 6:30 pm.

I’m scheduled for 3 Saturday shifts next month for the 2nd month straight, while some of the other helpers in the company don’t have any (They tell me it’s because I’m so “reliable” but quite frankly I don’t care anymore. I’m overworked and angry). To sum up my frustration, they routinely tell us about night jobs at the last minute/do not always take worker’s post-work plans into consideration.

Turnover is very high and the vast majority of employees (6 of 7 in the past year) have left with no notice of Resignation or were fired with no advanced notice (They made one employee who doesn’t have a car drive over an hour only to tell him that he can’t work and that he must undergo 30 days of drug counseling)

I am a model employee and am routinely used as an example for the other helpers - I’m never late and I often work the hardest.

Am I justified in only giving 1 week’s notice of resignation? This company has straight up drained me of all energy.

• Kyle
    Favorite Answer

if you work at will employment, you do not have to give any notice whatsoever. in turn, employers can let go employees without any notice as well. it's just common practice to inform you're leaving so they can prepare final paperwork, payment, and start looking for a replacement, or have someone else help cover for your absence.

since you already have other employment lined up, just have it ready so you can work the next day after your last day of your current job. unless you want some time off in between for your self.

Learn what it means for a company to "sponsor" someone. It does NOT mean pay for the course. They are sponsoring you by just employing you. No, from what I read, you are not justified in giving only one week's notice. It may be a heavy schedule but unless you are contracted to work only limited hours per week, you are required to work the hours that they give you. You can up and quit but if you want the best reference possible, you will have to give them proper notice.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.
    • 3 Saturday's per month (to clarify)

But I guess the plight of the over-worked worker is a joke in this country.

There is no notice requirement. If you don't want to show up tomorrow, don't show up.

- If you think you can call up the new company and say "Hey, I'm available now". Don't expect them to be all gung-ho about it. Do you think that they don't have the brain power to say "hmmmm, this dude left the other company in a lurch. No doubt we can expect the same at some point".

Are you sure that you want to go into plumber?

I would be really really really surprised if the plumber "never" did over 50 hours a week or didn't sometimes do emergencies. If this is not for you, find another career.

1. Telling us home many employees that have left with limited notice is meaningless.

2. Why did they tell the worker to drive to work so they could be told the situation in person? Because that is the professional thing to do. Had they not, you would be belly-aching "they cut a guy loose with a text, what *******".

• A Hunch

You aren't even a plumber yet and don't want to do what it takes to become one. Maybe you should go into engineer so you can work in a field that interests you but not have to be on the line.

What's wrong with two weeks' notice? Don't get mad at them when you submit your resignation - just tell them you can't handle the hours.

• Also, I am very much capable of handling the hours. The issue is that I am often given little to no advance notice and am expected to in at work to next day after a night job.

And if I don't come in the next day after a night job, I forfeit a lot of overtime pay. (Customer charged extra)

• ?

Its definitly justified, but depending on your employment contract it might not be legal. Read through the contract and see if it says anything about maximum shift length, consecutive weekend shifts, etc. Theyre almost certainly in breach of amy such limits, at which point youre under no obligation to uphold your end of the contract regarding giving notice

• I just don’t know why they insist on having the person drive in and be dismissed publicly. When our manager is at the shop, everyone knows that “someone” is getting fired.

For the record, I have a much better paying job lined up. The owner has promised to sponsor me and support me in getting my license.

Furthermore he has assured me that his company’s employees never work more than 50 hours and that there is no “emergency service” - something that find particularly attractive.