Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 5 months ago

Is this cruel?

Hi. I just want opinions from you fine people on something. Ok...maybe some validation would be nice, too. Any advice that you think is helpful to me would be appreciated also.

I met someone over the internet who romanced me. He knew I was a lonely person, and not so young anymore. He talked about getting married and having children.

I think you know where this is going. He "left" or dumped me. Now I have to accept that I'm probably never going to get married or have a family. I'm also really scared of the future, and another thing is that he is well off and really is open about it. He talks all the time about what he has. I guess that was part of the glamour and attraction of him.

Now I feel like I am so less, forgotten, alone, with very little materially. I didn't feel like this before I knew the guy. I wasn't happy, but I didn't feel so desolate.

My question is was he cruel to act like we would have those things? Or was I just stupid? I wanted those things so much, and now I'll never have them. His life is so great, and mine is lonely and boring.

Thank you if you read this. :(

Yes, that's cruel. However, if he didn't take your life's saving with him when he bailed you're still more fortunate than most victims of catfishing. You don't have to be alone if you don't want to be. Just know that meeting strangers online generally isn't the way to find a good partner.

If he said that even half-knowing you thought some of his promises were fabricated and then end up turning his back on his promises I would say just for him initially knowing you would even feel remotely like he was being truthful with his envisioning of what will be in the future makes me personally believe he is incredibly cruel (you don't have to agree with me). I try to improve my own understanding about ways to perceive interacting with others for fear of old tendencies of making my interpretation of things being impacted by another flawed human being's bias and neurologically subdue myself enough to see things how I see them most accurately fit so I won't feel I am hanging on someone else's feel good promise/narrative/what they would do if so and so happened.

kind of but thats why youre better off without hirn