Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 5 months ago

Boyfriend and me argue about our son?

We have an 11 and a half month old baby and just learned to walk three weeks ago. Now that he's mobile he is all over the place and falls quite a bit. If he bumps his head on something and starts to cry I pick him up, my bf gets annoyed by this. He tells me he will be fine and to stop babying him. I tell him he IS a baby and I will pick him up if I want. He says he just wants him to be tough and not grow up to be a wuss. Isn't his logic ridiculous??

• LizB
    Favorite Answer

Well, yeah, he's an infant and infants don't need to be "toughened up." He has plenty of years ahead to learn grit and emotion regulation when he's older.

But that said, part of how your child will react to things that make them upset *does* depend on your response. If you always make a big deal over every bump and bruise, you'll wind up with a kid who cries over every single little thing and never gets practice on dealing with problems on their own. Now that your baby is toddling, I definitely would encourage you to resist the urge to sweep in and rescue him over every bump and fall. If you stay calm and don't react with panic, then it will teach him to do the same. After a while you'll be able to distinguish between a "something happened and I'm upset but okay" cry versus the "I really hurt myself and need Mommy/Daddy NOW" cry.

Your boyfriend is being both unrealistic and STUPID. Your son is a BABY. That means he's still under one year old. Picking him up and offering him comfort is not "spoiling him". He can learn to be "tough" later, when he's older.

Your boyfriend is being really stupid because after all your son is just a baby.

Baby needs affection.

• edward

If he falls off the jungle gym when he’s 6, (happens all the time...) it’s a solid 5-6 foot drop to the ground for a little one it’s far, (...broken little bones for sure...) your boyfriend is just going to be like “shake it off kid!” (...he’s a phucking baby and he’s still a little delicate!). I’m going to say that he’ll cry over a scraped knee the first time it happens, the first time he gets a burn, he’ll cry and try to scratch it, he’s not a wuss, he’s a baby. Mine is in the same situation except we do baby him when he falls over his own feet

Your boyfriend is being ridiculous. Your son is only still a baby. He needs his needs met, including comfort.

Boyfriend is an abuser. All babies, toddlers, children and pre teens,teens and adults NEED to know they are loved and people care about them. It does not make them wussy, it makes them confident and helps them mature and treat others with compassion

His logic is correct in an older baby Your thinking makes the most sense with a baby not even 1.

There will be a point when you need to stop babying your baby... I don't think you've reached that point yet. Once he's toddling all over the place with ease and play cries to get your attention? Yeah. That's the time to ween the "booboo, baby" show down a bit.

Yes. Young children require affection, love and care to grow up properly. There is no weakness in expressing emotion.

You can raise a "tough" child by teaching him critical thinking and problem-solving skills throughout his life. This will make him more inclined to think things through rather than just give up and accept defeat.