What is better for an infant starting real food, jarred food or fruits and veggies through a processor?

My guess would of been that naturally fresh veggies and fruits are better, but a friend with several children says it's better to used jarred because you do not want to risk any pieces or fibers in the fix. But it seems like I could just run them to a mush and then use a strainer to be safe...

What do you think?

• Pippin
    Favorite Answer

Whatever works for you and your baby.

Jarred food has the benefit that the foods have gone directly from field to factory, so are actually 'fresher' than food you are likely to buy at the store, which may have been warehoused for weeks and then sat on the shelf for days.

But if you want to make your own, that's fine too. By the time a baby is old enough for solids, (6 months+) you don't have to worry about bits of fiber, or pushing it through a strainer. He may even be able to pick up pieces of soft food and feed himself.

There is nothing wrong with jarred baby foods until child turns 1-year of age......then, switch to normal foods but diced so it will be easier for baby to chew.

• Suzy Q

Nutritionally there is nothing wrong with either. The jarred stuff is made with fresh produce and processed very quickly, sealed in the jar without additives. And as for the homemade stuff, for a baby who is old enough for solids, the food doesn't need to be blended THAT smooth, even fork mashed would be fine.

I mostly used homemade food for my kids, for two reasons: I didn't see the need for them to start on only ultra-fine texture semi-fluid stuff, and I did want them to develop a taste for my kind of cooking. I don't know about you, but I don't usually eat brown beans mixed with apple sauce for dinner, so I didn't see the point in getting them used to those flavors.

I didn't do full on baby led weaning, but I did offer a combination of purees and finger foods right from the start. The idea of worrying about a tiny bit of fiber is funny after having seen a 6 month old happily gnawing on whole cooked baby carrots and green beans.

• LizB

Or you could try baby-led weaning and not have to mess with any of that.

I skipped the jars and premade except for trips out. My wee one had finger food size pieces of sweet potato, squash, or avocado, and soft melons as “”first foods””. Whatever he can gum chew.

I don’t strain and process to mush. I prefer baby led weaning, with family foods. He loves to feed himself. The pieces are cut like French does, easy to pick up and large enough to make him chew his food. He’s 7 months old now.

Good question I am stuck in this too.. i spoke to my friend earlier who has weaned her baby she said fresh foods are good but can make the infant constipated I thought it was the other way round.. what I'm doing is trying one food at a time so I know what does what

• rose5 months agoReport

Thanks for your help I will have to try it

Fresh would probably be cheaper and you can make how ever much you want and store the extra in the fridge or freezer. It just depends on what you want to do.

The best is fruit and veggies through a processor

Just make sure you clean them right and don't worry too much we all raised our kids and even our grandma raised their kids with fruit and veggies

But you can only use jarred food occasionally if you are traveling, having an appointment and maybe when you are sick . Anything that prevent you from making his food