What would you rather do rent from the landlord or borrow from the bank and rent from the government?

Favorite Answer

I would MUCH rather use a large chunk of someone else's money (the bank's) to finance the purchase of something that will be mine after I repay the money.

You do realize, don't you - no, you don't, if you can ask this question - that when you rent, YOU are paying the property taxes? You give the landlord your rent money and the landlord uses it to pay the taxes, and pay off the mortgage, and if you live in the same place long enough, YOU bought the place for the landlord, yet YOU get nothing when you leave.

Yes, I must still pay property taxes, which go for schools and roads and other local services, and I do wish they weren't as high as they are. But what I am paying every month for those taxes amounts to 25% of the rent I would be paying to live in the house I, instead, own.

It's not always financial reasons, if you buy you have a lot more security and don't have a landlord telling you what colour your door is supposed to be and they really do have funny conditions like that. Even if it's going to take forever to pay the mortgage, it's often cheaper than rent. Yes, you do your own repairs but landlords offend don't do repairs properly anyway, you can take out insurance. You can also enter into a mortgage whereby if you die before it's paid, the house becomes fully paid for and is passed to your loved ones.

You're not going to borrow from a bank for a rental!

• LILL

Either way, your paying.

I'd rather own.

Methinks you are jealous of us home owners. You haven't considered the end result. A secure home of your own when the mortgage is paid off.

Owning real estate is an investment though, and something you pay 180K for might be worth 290K 20 years later. The key is dont over buy and live pay check to pay check and try to buy in growing areas or in that direction, but dont get to far out the commute is like another work day every week. All that matters.

Rent what? The government is not in the business of owing and renting out apartments. Subsidizing them with taxpayer money does not make the apartment/units government owned.

• james5 months agoReport

You do rent from the government. It’s called property taxes