Anonymous

Why are people so nosey when it comes to your career?

People always ask "what's your job" and "where do you work" I don't want to discussed it at all. I hate my job and I hate talking about it in my free time. Why is it such a fixation with people?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Kelly
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

They're making conversation.

My job, the only people who understand what I do are people who do what I do. I work in IT and I just tell people I work with computers because it's what people associate with that. Really though while I can do the computer repair stuff, I actually work with servers, cloud storage, network cores, HVAC systems and things like that.

My husband is Cardiologist, I have no idea how he does the things he does. I know he does stents, pacemakers, balloons and other procedures but really I don't know how it's done or how he decides that's what the person needs. He told me once all the veins he could get on a single picc and I just took his word for it because I didn't know any of them. Everyday when I ask him how his day was, I get the same answer "busy". If I ask something specific he will explain it, but it's usually long and winded and really I'm not that invested in it. I also work at a hospital and I asked him once what a "stemi alert" was and I got the really long medical definition of it and told him to feel free to dumb it down like I was 5 and got "heart attack". You know who understands what he does? Other doctors.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

They're looking for a neutral topic to start a conversation, generally not being nosey.

• 5 months ago

I say 'I do office work' and leave it at that.

• 5 months ago

Its something we spend a significant amount of our time doing...

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

They want to talk to you and that is their way of starting small talk. Just say what you do. Example: I wait tables what about yourself? Throw the question right back at them if you do not want to talk about your job. Some people love to talk and would be more than happy to tell you about theirs.

• It's not nosy at all, they're just trying to start a conversation.

If you don't want to talk about it, tell them say I'd rather not talk about it.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

You're making such a big fuss over a harmless question? Lol, get the **** over it.

• Merp5 months agoReport

Yes, you are making such a big fuss over this question, Dick.

• 5 months ago

they re just making a conversation. what else would u be talking about. if u hate your job say u re unemployed

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Because people can be annoying.

• 5 months ago

small talk dont get so angry

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.