Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 5 months ago

Is it morally okay to unchain someone's dog?

There is this dog near my grandma's house that has been locked in a box not longer or wider than 1 meter. He's been locked there for at least 10 years, during which I've never seen him out. I started thinking that I should go there one night and open his cage and let him out of the yard. I would try to put him on leash and take him downtown where there is more people, food and some strays. I wouldn't be able to keep him as I already have a lot of animals, and I'm not even sure that he would allow me to leash him as he always barks whenever he sees someone. Would this be a mistake? Would I make his life more miserable by letting him out or leaving him there? Should I do it? I feel no remorse for the owners, they can't love him and keep him like that for 10 years.

Btw where I live there aren't any animal rescue institutions, so it's not an option calling anyone.

Report it see what you can do, sometimes people who have dogs like that don't care about them. If you knock on their door and politely ask if you may take the dog in the backyard off their hands they might give the dog to you. But you should really find a rescue that you can give the dog to, New York Bully Crew has taken dogs from florida, houston, and other states which are obviously really far from new york. You can go on their website and try to contact them about the dog or just find the closest rescue to you even if its hours away they could try to make it happen if they know the dog is in bad shape.

It would be considered theft.

Report them to Animal Control. That's BS there isn't one.

So you're thinking about stealing. Highly illegal and can get you a lawsuit and jail time.

Do what an adult does and contact animal control and make a report.

They can sue you for messing with the dog and for trespassing. You have no right to enter their property or touch the dog

You can't take the dog since that is THEFT. And you can't give the dog away since that is also THEFT. You also don't know if the dog is aggressive or not and when it does bite you, the dog will have ot be put down.,

You do have AC so stop lying about that

• J C

No. It is called trespassing and theft. If the dog has adequate food and shelter, and is meeting the local laws for chaining, then there is no cruelty involved. If you are not sure, then call and report the situation to your local animal control. If you have none (we do not) call your local police non-emergency number and report it. They will investigate and determine if it is a cruelty case or not. We cannot take the law into our own hands. Even if you set him "free" you now have a free roaming dog who will either get hit by a car, or bite someone and then be euthanized.

No.

1) You would be trespassing.

2) You would be STEALING.

3) Your action could result in the DEATH of an innocent animal; once released.

HOW are ANY of those immoral (and ILLEGAL) actions appropriate?

If you go onto somebody else's property to do this, it would be trespass. And if you release this poor animal, it would be illegal too to say nothing of the fact he could roam the area and end up under a truck.

Contact your relevant authorities (there must be somewhere to report animal abuse going on?) and get THEM to sort out what's going on - and do it today!

Much as it may be tempting, do NOT take matters into your own hands. In the UK, even the RSPCA have to have the police present when they enter a property to seize an animal.

• PR

Report him to the proper authorities for cruelty.

• Maxi

So you are planning on becoming someone who steals dogs and let the dog roam free to be injured or killed? Stay in school and get an education!

No. Report the matter to animal cruelty organization or the police.

• Star_of_Darkness

Lie harder./ The cops won't do anything and you need to leave the dog alone and call AC