Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 5 months ago

Is it legal for a cashier to shoot a robber at a gas station if they're holding said cashier at gunpoint?

This is just out of curiosity. I don't work at a gas station and there hasn't been a robbery.

I was just watching a show on Netflix when the cashier shot the robber. He had a small gun holding her at gunpoint, then she took out a large gun and said, "Drop it or I'll shoot."

Then she shot him and I was like, "Is the even legal?"

It's been making me think... When is it okay to kill a bad guy or a murderer and when is it not?

• art

I dont know about defending the money, but in America if someone is pointing a gun at you threatening to shoot you then you have every right to shoot and kill them in self defence

Holding a gun on someone usually meets the criteria for being a threat of death or serious physical harm for which "self defense" applies.

• `

The cashier was able to retrieve "a large gun" and shoot the robber even though the robber had a gun himself? She's good. The unlikely scenario cancels out the question.

Would generally be considered self defense, yes.

• Rick B

It is legal to defend yourself.