Ruth asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 5 months ago

Can I substitute blackstrap molasses for dark molasses in a recipe?

No I wouldn't. The taste is very, very different!!! I'd use honey instead.

• Dimo

YOU can use blackstrap molasses for dark molasses -- a lot of people eat crap when they don't care about flavor. I would not.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/02/what-is-blacks...

" ... blackstrap was strictly reserved for doctoring fertilizer or livestock feed—not something you'd want anywhere near a batch of gingerbread....

"Molasses can be light or dark, depending on the specific degree to which it's been concentrated, but it's still molasses, with a sugar content of around 70%.

With further boiling, molasses can be concentrated even more, allowing thermal decomposition to carbonize its remaining sugars into a black, bitter, and downright salty sludge. This, my friends, is blackstrap. It has a sugar content of only 45%.... "

possibly. I have never tasted black strap molasses so I don't know if it would taste nearly the same or not.

I think it would depend on how much you have to add.

Blackstrap is stronger in flavor so you might want to reduce it a bit and replace what you omit with either corn syrup of a home made simple syrup of the same thickness. That recipe would be.

Corn syrup substitute

1 1/4 Cup granulated sugar

1/4 Cup water

Heat until sugar dissolves.

This replaces light corn syrup.

I would "play" with the ratio until you get one that does not taste overpowering.

• C

Yes, that's fine. They're more or less the same thing for cooking and baking purposes.