How does it take to get used to a food or drink you don’t like?

If I don't like something the first time I am unlikely to want to try it again. I used to hate liver when I was in school and when my mother cooked it at home. Once I had my own home I tried liver again and realised that the school and mum had been overcooking it so it was like a piece of leather. I now eat liver and enjoy it with lots of onion gravy.

I was a very picky eater as a child, but my tastes changed & matured as an adult. I was told that some food & beverages necessitate requiring a taste, like Scotch.

• denise

No time, if I dont like it I wont eat it,

I'll try it at first, but then dont have it again if I dont like it.

• Todd

For me, it takes about a week to get used to something. Your mileage may vary. Everyone's different. People said you don't have to, but you would have to in a survival situation or any time where you don't have a choice.

• rena

Why? If you don’t like it, don’t force yourself.

It depends on how old you are and how diligent you are at trying it but remember, you don't HAVE to like everything out there.

AND its really important to try any food you are trying to like made in different ways.

I absolutely HATE cooked spinach..looks vile, smells vile, tastes vile....but in an omelet with roasted red peppers, onions and feta cheese its nice. Raw in a salad its good, and I have had scalloped spinach with cheese that was delicious too.

• Groovy_Unicorn

Exactly this. I wont touch cooked broccoli any way you dress it. I love it raw with some hummus or ranch dip though. My husband is the exact opposite

• Katie

My Mum tried to give me mashed bananas as a baby. There was something about it that caused me to spit it back out. 45 years the smell and look of bananas is still off putting to me.

I think I read on some pamphlet our childs pediatrician gave us that it takes at least 5 different times of trying something to tell if you really like it or not. My daughter has to try everything on her plate and it's pretty easy to tell after a few years what she likes and doesnt like. She will finish off her corn but will only take the required bite of peas for example.

• CB

A quote from "The Chef Show" One chef made the comment; "Some people make a new dish one time and don't like it and never make it again, but you have to keep making it until you perfect it"

Jon Favreau says" "I was brought up to eat the same thing over and over again until I liked it"

Apparently it take awhile - but tastebuds do change eventually.

• audrey

Forever. If I don't like it I don't eat or drink it.