Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 4 months ago

Why do people keep saying seek therapy even though people can’t afford it?

When people bring awareness to mental health, they keep saying go get therapy. Do people release that it cost a lot of money to go see a therapist? A lot of insurances don’t cover a therapist, for a lot of people they can’t ever afford therapy. I have mental illness and I’m not going to therapy because I can’t afford it. The best thing I can do is free counseling at my college but therapist are unpaid interns and they come and go so I gotta keep re explaining my situation to several different people. It cost a fortune to go actually pay for a therapist. So when my friends tell me to get therapy, they should be the ones to pay for it then. People like telling me to do things that cost money but don’t offer to help pay for it.

Dept. of Health and Human Hospitals has free clinics, if referred by a social worker.

It's free. Maybe you can try that route.

They are saying that because therapy often times works, and helps alleviate the pain

and suffering. At least it's something to work towards. A goal to save up for it you can.

Most people don’t know how expensive it is. It’s like $800/month where I live and most don’t take insurance. I think most people think it’s a $20 copay like the doctor not hundreds of dollars for a one hour session.

• Lili

Most therapists DO take insurance. They'd go out of business if they didn't.

• Lili

The Affordable Care Act REQUIRES that insurance cover mental-health treatment. If you are in the United States, your insurance has to cover it. There is usually a co-pay but it should be affordable.

Mental health clinics, as others have said, often offer coverage on a sliding scale fee basis, so that even the co-pay can be adjusted.

People say it because it’s the easy solution for them. Then they can basically just say that they tried to help. I think a diagnosis is a good idea, the you can find a community of people who have actually had the same experiences as you. Even then just going to a psychologist or psychiatrist can be expensive and unnecessary, but plenty of sites like mental health America offer free screening tools and resources which can guide you toward help

• Ann

There are county mental health centers that afford low-cost or free mental health counseling. There are also therapists who offer "sliding scale" fees (that accommodate a person's ability to pay).

• DeAnne

Therapy is expensive and doesn't do much good. Instead, tell a dr. how you feel and ask him/her for anti-depressants. Zoloft is a good one!

• Pippin

The 'stranger' is a trained professional who helps you learn how to cope with your feelings/illness. It's not just having a casual chat. (Though even if it were, talking over your problems can often help you find a solution, or at least help you feel better.)

• falcon

You are part of society.The government have branches for the needed .if your issues is sever than search and get help .The quality of the help is a different issue though.

• Eva

Many areas have therapists that provide services on a sliding scale based on income. Our local one is called Family & Children's Services. Call your local mental health association for a referral.

You seemed you got your answer for that so may I suggest something else? Guided meditation. Have you ever tried it? There are some that are like a true appointment, they ask very pertinent questions and guide you through their answer. A youtube channel that comes to mind is Jason Stenphenson. I'm sorry if I mispelled it, but if you write that name you should find him anyways. Good luck!

• Jen

Because a lot of the times, its more important to get the help then to get into debt. Also, it should be easy to find an agency that has some type of grant program that covers a lot of the cost for the uninsured, if not all of it. Im insured, but I still have to pay $30 each week.

Best thing to do is to contact local mental health agencies, tell them your situation, and see if they can help direct you. It is weird to me that you have to keep re-explaining yourself, you should have a patient file for them to read.