Samantha asked in PetsDogs · 7 months ago

Hard swollen area on the side of my dogs face!!?

My puppy was around 4 months old when I noticed an absence of some sort on his face. I did some research and found it was most likely a Histiocytoma, which is a benign tumor that are common for puppies. It said it would be fine in fall off in a couple of months, so I left it alone and bought him a cone so he would stop itching at it. We went camping for 10 days and he was fine until the second to last day. I was with him at lunch time and he seemed totally fine, then we left him in the trailer for 2 hours (air conditioned don’t worry!) and when we came back his right side of his face was completely blown up with swelling. initially we thought he had eaten a bug that had stung him because catching bugs was one of his favorite pastimes up there; so we gave him 25mg Benedryl (weight 35LBS). We came back home Saturday and went to the veterinary emergency room on Sunday. She said he was most likely chewing on sticks that’s caused an abscess in his mouth, which caused the swelling. She gave us diphenhydramine and Carprofen and said it should clear up in 12-24 hours. 12 hours later his face is still swollen, it might have got down a tiny bit. I’m also worried about his “histiocytoma” because it is right next to his eye and it has been getting bigger. We’ve been cleaning it and putting Neosporin on it but it’s scaring me being so close to his eye. The vet wasn’t all the worried about it however. I would love to hear some thoughts on this subject!!

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Go to your regular vet and have the teeth xrayed on that side.The dog is at the age when it's adult teeth are about to come in and you probably have an impacted tooth.

• 7 months ago

I don't know where you've got that a histiocytoma normally 'dries and falls off'' as they are usually surgically removed.

See another vet with all of this. If the abscess has been caused by eating sticks the swelling is on the inside of the mouth going through and this needs to be watched as it can close the throat. I ended up at an emergency vet with something like this except that it was a blade of grass in her throat that caused it. They had to cut from the outside in to get it all.

Attachment image
  • PR
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

He likely has an infection/abcess and/or inflammation possibly from a spider bite or other insect.

CALL THE VET BACK, or call your own vet. Ask what sort of improvement you should see right now. If you don't feel comfortable with the answer, go to a different vet.

You SHOULD NOT self-diagnose yourself or your pet. This can be dangerous. There are too many things that look alike and can even be difficult for a vet to determine without specific tests. You always should take the animal to the vet RIGHT AWAY, when there is something going on. This can also save you money in vet bills due to a much easier recovery from whatever is going on.

CALL YOUR VET/CALL YOUR OWN VET, and your own vet is the one who can see to the actual diagnosis and recovery of your puppy. The emergency vet is there for you, when your own vet cannot or is not open. Call your own vet and get the puppy in for an appointment. In the least, call your own vet and tell them what is going on, what happened and ask what they think at this point in time. If you think the swelling is still extreme right now, you need to tell them that. Sometimes they may think it is just a little swelling and not too bad. You need to describe exactly what is going on.

I, personally, would not wait in a situation where there is a lot of swelling. This can easily involve the eye, and simply is not a good thing either way. You can try to place a warm compress on the swelling, but this does not replace a consult with the vet so your puppy does not end up losing his eye, or vision in that eye.

• JetDoc
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Some thoughts... 1) YOU'RE AN IDIOT! 2) If you don't trust your vet's opinion, go find another one.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • VAA
    Lv 4
    7 months ago

WE humans get second opinions all the time for medical problems, do the same for your pup. Find another vet and take the puppy to him/her asap.

• 7 months ago

Only put on what the vet has prescribed. If you are worried (and you are), you must take him back to the vet, and in any event if he is in pain. It is actually against the law to leave an animal suffering in pain. I see a few too many 'we've tried this and we've tried that', comments here. Have you actually seen a vet or are you making excuses because you don't want the bother or the expense. I hope not! If it IS that, then do reflect that the fine you will incur for leaving your dog to suffer is likely to outweigh the cost of having a vet check him.

• Samantha7 months agoReport

I am certainly not lying about seeing the vet... he hasn’t been in any pain he still plays with the dog downstairs and jumps up when there’s food around. The vet said the swelling should reduce in 12-24 hours so I’m planning on waiting until the 24 hour mark. I wanted to hear other opinions!

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

The only person who can help and advise you is the vet who examined the dog..........

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.