Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 7 months ago

If a person was raised as a psychopath by an abusive father, is there a way to undo that programming?

As a child, I was considered very empathetic and leaning to the effeminate side to a point I would always cry in drama movies, seeing my mum and friends pass away, my pet being given away, and seeing my cherished items being given away to charity as a form of punishment. However, my dad has gone and used that whole "Command and Conquer" method crap on me and had always prevented me from crying, had always bossed and scolded me throughout the years (every day felt like a workday for me as a child), and has been getting me to work much harder than most employees while also earning less money than him because he keeps taking some of my money, which his total debt is now $25,000 that he refuses to pay back (we work for the same company). He's also been giving other people the impression that I am his "body gaurd" and a macho man.

If it helps at all, my dad had also hidden Roman Catholicism form me completely even though I was baptized.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago

I don’t think you are. A psychopath. Judging by these self-insights you have. Abused, yes. But that doesn’t necessarily turn you into a psychopath. . Sounds like are a sensitive, empathic victim of a (malignantly?)narcissistic upbringing more likely. Your vulnerability which makes you human and is a sign of your humanity and normalcy was used against you by (currently) predatory narcissistic dad who may never change. They usually don’t seek help. Who knows what they did to him in his formative years? But whatever it was, he has ‘adapted’ and subsequently ‘protected’ himself from further harm by donning this armor of of non-empathy, ‘toughness’, inhumanity. (Supposedly Donald Trump’s father did the same thing to him. ) Narcissists like your Dad “gaslight” their victims into thinking THEY are the ones with the problems. ‘Too sensitive’. ‘Weak’. ‘Effeminate’. Not a ‘go-getter’. ‘Even ‘crazy’. Classic. Working for him is bad because then he can continue controlling you. Liberate yourself.

• 7 months ago

I did, but it takes a lot of work and a lot of time.

• 7 months ago

"FOR WITH GOD ((( NOTHING ))) SHALL BE IMPOSSIBLE" (LUKE 1:37)!

• 7 months ago

We all get the upbringing we need to learn the lessons we need to be more loving and peaceful. Blaming others prevents us from learning those lessons. You have within you the wherewithal to correct false ideas because God is within you, not your earthly father.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 7 months ago

I would strongly suggest that if you are not what is considered an adult that your get counselling, or talk to a priest.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Nobody is "raised as a psychopath".

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Not if you're fat and ugly.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Do yourself a favor and don't breed! You are exactly just like your father, if not worse, because you were never raised a Catholic. You are a bad person, a psychopath and a SINNER

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.