Anonymous

What is the mature way to handle this? How would YOU handle this?

I’m a 2nd grade teacher I took a job at a summer camp. Unfortunately, I’m the only person over 18 who can close the camp and the 2 girls I have to work with are both 16.

They have extreme attitudes, they told my boss I am “beneath” them. When we work together they completely ignore me, don’t tell me what is going on with the children at all it’s like I completely don’t existent. It’s VERY difficult to work with people who will not have any form of communication with you specifically when it comes to children. It’s gotten to the point that I’ve just stopped working when I have to work with them. I either try to clean as much as possible or help in the office to avoid them. My boss has seen what is going on and is insistent on having a meeting with the 3 of us but has yet to do so. She’s been saying she was going to have a meeting for the past 2 weeks nothing has been done to fix things. I’m not sure how to handle this? My teacher friends have advised me to cuss her out and put her in her place as she’s 16 and the boss is doing nothing to resolve the issue. I’m not sure this is best advice either. What would be the mature way to handle this? Should I just continue to avoid them until the summer is over? My boss seems to like me and told me when I’m not working with them I do an excellent job but when I work with them I slack off. How would YOU handle this?

Favorite Answer

It's a SUMMER CAMP. - I hope you didn't think you would be working with employees the caliber of Booz Allen Hamilton

Get over it...

Or if you don't like it quit - spend your time enjoying the rest of the summer or getting the classroom ready for next year.

• NONAME

you took a job at a summer camp where...you are the only adult? this seems like a scam of peoples money and the law...i would call the local news or the parents even...its like the movie heavyweights...someone needs to step in

Take the boss aside today and insist on a meeting NOW since the kids' safety is involved here and you are still having issues.

I'd be looking for another job or planning to quit. This looks eerily similar to another recent post...

• DEBS

Discuss it with your boss. Tell your boss that either she can handle it or your will. Tell her you be taking control of the situation. That will start with you calling the meeting she has not. She can run it or you will but you expect to be backed up. (Make sure you're on the same page so you she doesn't try to downplay your concerns during the meeting. Take notes and reference what she said if you want.) Explain that you'll do what you can to keep confrontations 'behind the scenes', but there needs to be changes for the sake of the campers.

Then go about your life and job and not worry about the drama.

The mature way is not to post your drama more than once.

Go back to your boss and provide an ultimatum (and be prepared to follow through) that she needs to set up the meeting with one more week or you will be quitting and leaving the problem in her lap. In the meantime, stop just cleaning and do your job - as long as you slack off while they are around, they win.

Do not cuss anyone out (you said you want a mature way of handling things - would you cuss out the principal at the school you work at? Make sure that your boss knows you feel disrespected and that something has to be done.