Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureMythology & Folklore · 6 months ago

Why do many Christians say they have evidence for their God then don't provide it and turn it into an attack on atheists?

Christian: I do have evidence. Atheism is illogical because it has no evidence. I WIN AND ME IS MORE SMARTER!!

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Megumi
    Lv 6
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

They are desperate, as we see, since this is all they have to use.

• Jake
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

Jesus exists and is God. A person can know these things with certainty by way of having true devotion to the Immaculate Heart of the Virgin Mary.

• Sandra K
      Lv 6
      6 months agoReport

No, that crap may work on you but not me.

• 6 months ago

We have evidence. Your problem is that you want proof, and you don't see the difference.

We have written evidence. It starts with the Bible, and extends to the writings of many, many Christians over the last couple of millennia. I once helped a library shelve a full collection of the Greek and Latin Patrologies, and believe me, it's a lot of shelf space! And you can find more, in libraries and bookstores.

We also have evidence that isn't written, just passed down among us. And evidence from our own experiences.

Now, all the evidence is subjectively selected and interpreted. That's what happens if there isn't any proof. That's the case for atheists' evidence, too (even when it's proof of something else, like the proofs of evolution or the Big Bang). As evidence for the nonexistence of gods, it's subjective.

As far as I can tell, from reading the sources, the "theists believe with no evidence" notion was a rhetorical scam introduced over the last couple decades by New Atheist writers. They deliberately replaced "no proof" (which would have been true) with "no evidence" to dodge an obvious hole in their own arguments: that they haven't got any proof, either.

• ...Show all comments
    • PhotonX
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

conflate the meanings of words like 'proof', 'evidence', 'theory', 'faith', etc. Sorry, but your personal testimony isn't either evidence or proof, it's just an expression of your belief. Nor are Christian writings by people who weren't alive to see Jesus (supposed) resurrection.

• Retief
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

They don't have actual evidence, just their belief. The only way they can defend that is by attacking.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 months ago

We have something more absolute than evidence. We have proof. There are various metaphysical arguments for the existence of God to where the premises are sound and the conclusion validly follows the premises, and therefore the conclusions are true.

There are the Thomist arguments for the existence of God utilizing the hierarchical order of conditioned realities. There is also the Thomist argument for the existence of God utilizing the change of state from potential to actual. Both are quite soundly elucidated by Robert Spitzer for the former argument, and Ed Feser for the latter argument. People have tried to refute them, but none have been successful.

They prove that God is an exclusive monotheistic God (as opposed to an inclusive monotheistic and pluriform (panentheistic) monotheistic God. Therefore, it proves that an Abrahamic God exists.

Using historical evidence of Christianity, we can compare Judaism and Islam to Christianity to see that the Christian God is the God that exists. That Christian historical evidence has to do with the creed that Paul of Tarsus recites in his letters, that he knew Peter and James, the stoning of James as recorded by Josephus, and the martyrdom of the first Christians claiming to have witnessed Jesus.

I am sure, that after 2000 years someone will base skepticism on the fact that the first Christians did not have notarized documentation, newspaper articles, videos or photographs. But with the same kind of historical evidence we use to claim that Pythagoras or Socrates existed we can claim that Jesus existed too.

• Tim
    Lv 7
    6 months ago
    • Sunnyside
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

That it is neither valid nor verifiable.

• Because they refuse to understand the differences between Objective and subjective and faith and Knowledge.

Evolution is proven by literally millions of datum across all fields of study. It is the way life diversifies via genetic mutation and environmental adaptation.

Examples abound everywhere you look, from Bergmann's Rule to antibiotic resistant pathogens to the London peppered moth to Siberian hogs breeding out native populations in the USA to the human vestigial tail to the fact that the front fins of whales were once legs to the greenish Himalayan warbler to countless other examples.

Attachment image
    • ...Show all comments
    • K. Orrez
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

The question deals with evidence for the existence of God, and you go off on a tangent about evolution.

• 6 months ago

I used to provide what I construed as evidence, but others did not, so I stopped.

I don't attack atheists.

• ...Show all comments
    • K. Orrez
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Is there such a thing as love? How big is it? What color is it? Does it expand when heated and contract when cold? How much does it weigh?

• 6 months ago

Sorry. Your word, just like mine, is not proof.

• 6 months ago

you shouldn't ask for evidence when you have none for evolution.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.