Why did my gold clover charm crumble after I swam all day in the pool? It was 10k gold.?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 months ago

I am actually surprised that a 10k gold piece would be affected by the relatively weak chlorine contents of a swimming pool. This makes me suspect that the piece was about as shoddy an item as you could find out there in jewelry-land. I doubt its gold content or its bulk composition. I could, possibly, see some weld/solder joints being weakened, but the entire charm dissolving enough to crumble seems extremely unlikely.

The gold itself will not dissolve in pool water. Secondary alloying metals such as nickel, zinc, or copper should not dissolve much in chlorinated pool water either. Acidic waters, perhaps.

• Tom
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Likely Gold plated ZINC----The chlorine simply ate up the understrata

• Toruko
    Lv 6
    4 months ago

If you can't believe your eyes please do not assume I can refurbish a dysfunctional brain.

• poldi2
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

The chlorine reacted with the other metal in the gold (10k means it was not pure gold).

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Murzy
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

It was plated and not solid gold.

• Dixon
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

10k is fairly low gold content and the other metal is most likely copper which does react with chlorine, tho I'm kind of surprised it actually crumbled.

• Satan
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

I would suspect that the gold charm, is not actually gold, regardless of karat

The metals that are added to 10k gold are not perishable. even in pool water

• shirtshertshurt
      Lv 6
      4 months agoReport

Tell us then, which metals ARE soluble in pool water. Some must be. Because the thing dissolved.

• 4 months ago

Chlorine. It has no effect on 24k gold, but dissolves lesser alloys. 10k included. Maybe it wasn’t a lucky clover.

• 4 months ago

It was "supposedly" 10k gold. Did you have it certified?

Peace.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

Possibly wasn't gold at all.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.