asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 5 months ago

before the internet , if you wanted to see what , for example, "The Great Wall of China" looked like and read about it, how would you do it?

and now the internet , mainly sites like Youtube, Wikipedia, Google images, etc has gotten so good, you can virtually travel anywhere in the world now.

I was just WATCHING a walking tour through Beijings Forbidden city and walking along the Great Wall of China. and all the people were having a view of who was in front of them, while i was watching them like little ants from a helicopter shot seeing a much better view of everything and not having to pay money to fly over there and stay in a hotel , etc. and can read about it all i want on Wikipedia or elsewhere.

SO BIG QUESTION FOR ME IS, WHY WOULD I WANT TO PAY ALL THAT MONEY AND GO THROUGH ALL THE FRUSTRATIONS OF TRAVELING OVER THERE TO SEE IT FROM THE GROUND LEVEL , WHILE SPENDIND MY PHYSICAL ENERGY AND MONEY , WHEN I CAN SEE IT BETTER AND READ ABOUT IT IN DETAIL ONLINE IN THE COMFORTS OF MY OWN HOME?

• Fred
    Favorite Answer

Before the internet there was the Encyclopaedia. These were large books full of information about the world generally around 24 volumes (books). Families who wanted their children to have the best education would buy encyclopaedias so they could read and learn about all sorts of things (but no porn). The Ultimate encyclopaedias were the Encyclopaedia Britannica from Britain and were printed for at least 150 years, but the Internet became popular and people found a lot of information for free and encyclopaedias became no longer wanted. Encyclopaedia Britannica tried to modernise into the internet era by going online but found few would pay the subscription fee for what was free on the internet.

As for why would you pay to travel to tourist destinations when you can do a virtual tour is that nothing beats really being there. There is much more excitement being there than viewing it on a screen.

• 5 months agoReport

have you ever been abroad and just felt like "why did I come here and now I have to walk around and spend money, because I have to eat , and have to interact and deal with people , this is just like a real job. but I pay for it!?

You'd go to the library and look up the topic in the index cards, find several books listed, then go find one or more on the shelves and either check them out or find a table and read them in the library. Some people had the Encyclopedia Britannica in their homes, which was a 20-volume set of hardcover reference books that took up 10 feet of shelf space.

• John P

One of my first uses of an internet search was for info about the G W Of C. My colleague and I (of very different social and educational backgrounds) were appalled by the poor standard of writing in a long article about that wall. We had to read each paragraph twice, slowly, to understand it.

You could Read a book. 📖

• Athena

It was called an ENCYCLOPEDIA.

If your family did not have one then you could find it in your school LIBRARY.

Not everybody is as lazy as you, a lot of people enjoy traveling and seeing the real thing.

• 5 months agoReport

maybe you like to go to their restaurants ? pubs and clubs?

Libraries, book stores, tourist agencies

• blu

When I was a kid there was this wonderful device called a Viewmaster. It was set up like binoculars. Dozens of discs were available featuring various world wonders. Each frame in the disc was a 3D color photo that was spectacular. Change frame by "clicking the shutter".

Otherwise, most homes had encyclopedias and of course libraries.

I just did a search and Viewmasters are still available. Looks like they called my toy stereoscopic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/View-Master

Consult your encyclopedia. Should be one in your local library.

Peace.

• Mike W

You could always go to the library.

• Mark

There were books called "encyclopedias".

• 5 months agoReport

i am more interested in my intellectual senses being engaged