If we sent a butterfly back in time would it change the entire future?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Mr. P
    Lv 7
    5 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Unless that butterfly was going to do something amazing in this timeline, or the past, then no.

Imagine the disappointment on it's little sad face as it realises it has travelled into the past and is the first of any species to do so - only to realise that it doesn't have a language and can't change anything.

• 5 months ago

If you had read my other answers about the philosophical implications of time travel you would already know the answer.

You clearly cannot understand what TIME travel means.

If you travel in time yourself you cannot also be in the present. Either time changes or it doesn't.

And if time changes then you must be what you were at that time. Not what you will be in the future.

Hence you could change NOTHING. You become simply a passenger. Unknowingly unable to alter anything.

If you sent your butterfly back a few weeks it would be a caterpillar.

A bit longer and it could not exist at all.

Tough. Because the eggs would still be laid at the appropriate time and the butterfly would still exist today. Nothing would alter.

• 5 months ago

That wouldn't change anything, and it would be a waste of a good butterfly. If I were you, I would send a monkey to space, instead.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

just try it and see and then you'll know

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

Yeah because secretly that butterfly was a terrorist. And now the entire world is doomed because you thought you sent a harmless little butterfly back in time. What would you achieve by doing that anyways?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.